Bad Current Limiter

May 28, 2013
We came back from vacation and the pool was turning green. I opened the control panel and removed the face plate and noticed that the current limiter was burnt at the contact pad. I ordered the current limiter through digikey and decided to solder a new limiter on myself. Well the power and generate light comes on for a couple seconds and shuts off.
1. Did I just do a bad soldering job?
2. The contact pad on right side is coming off board. This can't be good. It was tough getting that off and ended up tearing up the contact pad. Can it be fixed?
3. A replacement board is about $175 on Amazon. Should I go this route?

Patrick

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 76
Can't really tell from the pic, but there appears to be some carbon buildup from arcing around the thru-points on the circuit board. If so, this could be a conductor between points/areas on the board that otherwise wouldn't be connected. Dig out/ clean up the carbon for starters. I would also check for shorted components in the immediate vicinity of the limiter. I would suspect that something down-circuit shorted which took out the limiter or you may have had a surge/lightning that took it out which could've affected other components before the limiter gave it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.