Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad Current Limiter

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad Current Limiter

We came back from vacation and the pool was turning green. I opened the control panel and removed the face plate and noticed that the current limiter was burnt at the contact pad. I ordered the current limiter through digikey and decided to solder a new limiter on myself. Well the power and generate light comes on for a couple seconds and shuts off.
    1. Did I just do a bad soldering job?
    2. The contact pad on right side is coming off board. This can't be good. It was tough getting that off and ended up tearing up the contact pad. Can it be fixed?
    3. A replacement board is about $175 on Amazon. Should I go this route?

Attached Images Attached Images
    12K IG Gunite, DE, 1HP, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Bad Current Limiter

Pick a place on the land (thin conductor material) that's good and solder a bridge across it. You can use just solder or a tiny piece of wire.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Florida Panhandle

Re: Bad Current Limiter

Can't really tell from the pic, but there appears to be some carbon buildup from arcing around the thru-points on the circuit board. If so, this could be a conductor between points/areas on the board that otherwise wouldn't be connected. Dig out/ clean up the carbon for starters. I would also check for shorted components in the immediate vicinity of the limiter. I would suspect that something down-circuit shorted which took out the limiter or you may have had a surge/lightning that took it out which could've affected other components before the limiter gave it up.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180