SWG not keeping FC high enough

Hi there!

Our current test results are:

FC 2.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 80
    CH 50
    CYA 70

How long should I let the swg run to keep our FC at 4-5? We are running it for 7 hours a day right now and it's just not keeping up. I was hoping 7 would be enough because the next setting on our sand pump jumps from 8 hours run time to 12 and I really didn't want it to have to run that long every day. The manual says 6 hours should be enough, but obviously it's not. Please help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Avondale AZ

Re: SWG not keeping FC high enough

All I can tell you is that I was told 1hr run time for every 10 degrees of ambient temperature. I have a consistent 4 to 5 with cya at 70. Here in beautiful downtown Phoenix, it is about 103-108 so I run mine for 11hrs when it is that hot. Check your manual on the SWG, it might tell you the GPM it requires, which is a factor also. Have the blades in the SWG been cleaned lately?
    IG 8.4k gal, 12x24, pebble sheen, SGS3000 SWG, Triton II TR100HD sand filter, PCC2000 pop up clean, 1hp 2EZ Speed motor with Whisperflo pump for filter, 1hp Century Sq1102 motor w/whisperflo pump for clean, 3.8' pool depth, 2002 build date - Nov 2015 refurb date. Went from 12.2k gal to 8.4k gal and from plaster to pebble sheen w/abalone shell.

3. Back To Top    #3

What is GPM? I'll check the manual again when I get home. The SWG is brand new, we've only had it 3 weeks.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

That's a big pool for that swg so there's a good chance that you're going to have to run it longer. I'd bump the pump up to 12 hours and the swg up to 10 hours and see how that works.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Antelope, CA

Don't forget, when you have a new SWG, you should supplement the FC with bleach until you get the SWG dialed in.

So, if the SWG only makes enough CL for 6FC and your target is 8FC, add 2 FC worth of bleach. You may need to do this every day for a while and on hot or heavy-use days.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100