Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool,fiilling,tested, now what,in what order?

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool,fiilling,tested, now what,in what order?

Ok, got pool refilled (almost 5" to go, before we can start pump.) Unfortunately , the 2nd fill fromour well, has some sediment the first fill didn't ,so I will be doing a lot of filter cleaning. Tested. with t-50. Temp 72 degrees. Ph 7.8...No Cl, FC,CYA. TA 120-130 . I did the pool calculator....But what order? Do I get CYA up first? Do I shock , and how many times before the SWG gets up? Just add the right amount of salt after pump starts running and adding the Muriatic acid ....have my grandson staying so don't want to leave ladder in pool, so should I broadcast it? or dilute..... or Shock first? (I have triclor shock).
    Should be able to start pump in about 2 hours... I read something about shocking for first 4 days? Confused as to order. Thanks
    AG proseries 22ft. round. 52". 11400 gal.Intex SWG.2000 gh/2650 gph,sand filter intex/ Hayward Aquabug vac. well.Ga. t-50 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pool,fiilling,tested, now what,in what order?

FC is the first thing you need since the pH is good.

If you're sure the "shock" you have is trichlor and not Dichlor then add about 5 oz to the pool in front of a running return. You can do that once or twice a day for the next 10 to 15 days to get the CYA up or you can add CYA directly. I choose adding it on it's own.

I don't think there's any reason to shock the pool unless your well water has something in it that requires it. Which I doubt.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    FC is the first thing you need since the pH is good.

If you're sure the "shock" you have is trichlor and not Dichlor then add about 5 oz to the pool in front of a running return. You can do that once or twice a day for the next 10 to 15 days to get the CYA up or you can add CYA directly. I choose adding it on it's own.

I don't think there's any reason to shock the pool unless your well water has something in it that requires it. Which I doubt.
    Why do you say "trichlor and not dichlor"? What is wrong with dichlor as a quick boost of FC and CYA?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

4. Back To Top    #4

It adds different amounts of FC and CYA depending on whether it's Dichlor or Trichlor. Also most so called granular "shock" is Dichlor not trichlor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I got my test kit. Only thing I had was ph of 7.8 no Cl or fcl (well water) . while filling and waiting for test kit .I put 1 bag of tri-clor shock,as it took 2 days to fill. temp 72-78 . somewhat cloudy from 2nd well filling .
    Got kit ,tested. No stablizer, ph 8.2.Put in recommended stablizer , muratic acid to bring ph down for swg to 7.4-7.6. recommended amount of salt.per Pool School on swg. we ran the SWG, for 12 hours first day , along with filtering 24 hr. Then I tested FC and CC and had values of 5 ...so I turned off generator...as the test kit said 1.5-ideal. Today it is 3+ on FC and CC. so didn't turn on SWG. But just read that SWG need 3-5 on chlorine test...opps , is that so? It is higher than the test tube test say is ideal.
    So I just turned it back on, after cc,fc level checked at 3. So I should ignore the "ideal" marks on my clorine test kit, and go for 3-5 instead?
    Also I had put stablizer in , then the SWG (Intex ) says to delay it...too late I was going by Pool School I thought. Had 3 regular chlorine and even Baquacil in past. But the SWG is a new thing for this granny.....( ph and alkalinity are fine.) Hubby just wants to know if he can swim before he goes out of town
    AG proseries 22ft. round. 52". 11400 gal.Intex SWG.2000 gh/2650 gph,sand filter intex/ Hayward Aquabug vac. well.Ga. t-50 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

If your pH is between 7.2 and 7.8 and you have about ±3 ppm FC then go swimming.

What CYA did you target?
    You should use the Pool School recommendations for everything.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Target CYA is 70-80 says the note under my desk cover taken from Pool School SWG page. But read that Stablizer may not show up in test results for a week, so I didn't retake it today. (used half my regents already . Water still a bit cloudy, greenish, but getting clearer, tiny filter came with the thing, so washing and replacing every couple hours, our well pulled up some sediment on the 2nd fill, non filtered at well as it messed up l our house water too much, so I had to use the "animals" unfiltered spigot. I added 7.06 lbs of stablizer after using Pool calculations.