pH adjustment mess - 2nd time this has happened

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
since we got enough rain again last night to overflow my pool, and i didnt test pH in two days i went out this morning and ran a full battery of tests minus CYA:

FC - 6 - added 10oz 8% per pool calc to bump to 7
CC - .5 - probaby due to rain

TA - 100

CH - 60

pH - 7.2 - it has been steady 7.6 with me testing every other day and doing nothing for last 4 weeks, even if we run the Crud out of waterfall, it hasnt changed.

I added 22 oz by volume of Borax using the same oz measuring cup i use for bleach and everything else. i broadcast spreaded it all the way around the pool with pump going. according to pool calc, this should have bumped it up to 7.5.

waited 1 hour with pump circulating... went back out and tested again... 8.0+

what in the world? i know i used 5 drops on each test, going about 1 drop per second for each, i swirled it, i did everything right as far as i know. the color was easy to read.

i dont understand. i had this happen before. since 8.0 isnt going to hurt an intex pool too bad i just left it be and it gradually over about a week went down to 7.6. now its sky high again.

since i seriously doubt this is a pool calculator problem... what am i doing wrong? :?

thanks

If bama's idea doesn't work out, it just might have been one of those things where stuff happens ( a testing error on that 7.2 test)

There is certainly nothing in your post to indicate ANYthing but accuracy on your part, but sometimes it can happen.

Bama Rambler said:
My first guess would be that you have the TA number too high.

Walk us through how you're doing the TA test?

i follow the K-2006 instructions using the 25 ml sample, i swirl after every drop, about 1 drop per second.

TA was 120 the last 2 times i tested it. it has dropped to 100.

im going to go out and test both TA and ph again and go real slow and make sure i test everything perfect and ill be back.

retested - pH- 8.0 TA 100. i took deep water samples on both, and followed test instructions to the letter. im thinking duraleigh may be right and my 7.2 test was in error. plus, since i added enough Borax to bump it from 7.2 to 7.5 and its now 8.0, and its normally 7.6 even after a heavy rain.... it would make sense that 7.2 was in error and it was on the money at 7.6 and i added enough borax to bump it to 8.0. ill give it a day or two to come back down and if it doesnt ill go get some MA. dang it....next time i get an abnormal test result like that, ill be sure to retest to verify it BEFORE i take action on it. :hammer:

I suspect that you may have found the problem. I have a problem with the pH test myself. I have read that adding an additional drop to the pH test makes it easier to read. You might want to try that next time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.