Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH adjustment mess - 2nd time this has happened

1. Back To Top    #1

pH adjustment mess - 2nd time this has happened

since we got enough rain again last night to overflow my pool, and i didnt test pH in two days i went out this morning and ran a full battery of tests minus CYA:

FC - 6 - added 10oz 8% per pool calc to bump to 7
    CC - .5 - probaby due to rain

TA - 100

CH - 60

pH - 7.2 - it has been steady 7.6 with me testing every other day and doing nothing for last 4 weeks, even if we run the **** out of waterfall, it hasnt changed.

I added 22 oz by volume of Borax using the same oz measuring cup i use for bleach and everything else. i broadcast spreaded it all the way around the pool with pump going. according to pool calc, this should have bumped it up to 7.5.

waited 1 hour with pump circulating... went back out and tested again... 8.0+

what in the world? i know i used 5 drops on each test, going about 1 drop per second for each, i swirled it, i did everything right as far as i know. the color was easy to read.

i dont understand. i had this happen before. since 8.0 isnt going to hurt an intex pool too bad i just left it be and it gradually over about a week went down to 7.6. now its sky high again.

since i seriously doubt this is a pool calculator problem... what am i doing wrong?

thanks
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH adjustment mess - 2nd time this has happened

My first guess would be that you have the TA number too high.

Walk us through how you're doing the TA test?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If bama's idea doesn't work out, it just might have been one of those things where stuff happens ( a testing error on that 7.2 test)

There is certainly nothing in your post to indicate ANYthing but accuracy on your part, but sometimes it can happen.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    My first guess would be that you have the TA number too high.

Walk us through how you're doing the TA test?
    i follow the K-2006 instructions using the 25 ml sample, i swirl after every drop, about 1 drop per second.

TA was 120 the last 2 times i tested it. it has dropped to 100.

im going to go out and test both TA and ph again and go real slow and make sure i test everything perfect and ill be back.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

5. Back To Top    #5

retested - pH- 8.0 TA 100. i took deep water samples on both, and followed test instructions to the letter. im thinking duraleigh may be right and my 7.2 test was in error. plus, since i added enough Borax to bump it from 7.2 to 7.5 and its now 8.0, and its normally 7.6 even after a heavy rain.... it would make sense that 7.2 was in error and it was on the money at 7.6 and i added enough borax to bump it to 8.0. ill give it a day or two to come back down and if it doesnt ill go get some MA. dang it....next time i get an abnormal test result like that, ill be sure to retest to verify it BEFORE i take action on it.

6. Back To Top    #6

I suspect that you may have found the problem. I have a problem with the pH test myself. I have read that adding an additional drop to the pH test makes it easier to read. You might want to try that next time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit