Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Attached Spa drain not working??

1. Back To Top    #1

Attached Spa drain not working??

Hi all. I have an attached spa that suddenly doesn't work! For some reason, when I switch my valves to the spa setting (spa in and spa out) I get an insufficient amount of water moving into the pump (and then I have to turn it off). When I move the setting back to draw water from the pool, it works again. Any ideas?
    38k gallon in-ground gunite; Intelliflo pump; in-floor cleaning via multi port; Raypak RP 2100 (405).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Attached Spa drain not working??

Is it sucking air into the pump basket?
    If so it's a suction side air leak in the spa line.
    If it isn't sucking in a lot of air then it's probably a spa suction clog.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Are these manual valves you turn by hand, or are they run by a controller?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The valve is manual. I think it is sucking air. When I look in the strainer basket, There is a small stream of water coming in.
    38k gallon in-ground gunite; Intelliflo pump; in-floor cleaning via multi port; Raypak RP 2100 (405).

5. Back To Top    #5

If it's clogged or partially blocked how would I un-clog it?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Duxdweller
    If it's clogged or partially blocked how would I un-clog it?
    Make sure the valve is set to draw from the spa, then open the pump strainer and stuff a garden hose wrapped in a rag or a drain king in the pump inlet pipe and let 'er rip. If there's mud or whatever plugging the pipe, it should blow it out through the spa drain.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! I will give that a try. I assume that if the problem is a leak on the suction side, I might see the water exiting as well? Strange thing is - the spa has worked fine since I opened it in May. Just developed this problem this week for some reason. Since no-one has been digging; and it's been 85+ outside, I don't know how a leak would develop.

8. Back To Top    #8

O-rings and seals can develop a leak just through use. Also you can have an air leak and it not leak any water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok - So I mucking around with it this morning, and it starts to suck in air on the pool intake side too. I decided it could be the jandy valve leaking. Turned the hose on and ran it over the valve - and the problem started going away. While I had the thing open, I decided to stick the drain king into the spa intake side. I've never used one of these before. Anyway, I noticed a "hissing" sound around the area where the intake pvc pipe joint is. Some water also coming up into the spa. No sign of a clog. Re-assembled the Jandy and ran the pool. 100% water coming into the strainer basket. Like new! Turned it to spa - not bad - not great. Some air is definitely coming in. I am pretty confident that it is the joint in the pvc on the intake side. The way this thing is plumbed, it will be a big time pain in the ***** to cut and replace. Any suggestions on "sealing" it for the time-being?

10. Back To Top    #10

Post a picture of it and we should be able to come up with something that will work as least temporarily.

You might try wrapping it with electrical tape if you can to see if it really is your problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator