Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it normal to never have to Backwash?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it normal to never have to Backwash?

Hey folks,

At the end of last year I replaced my DE Filter with a sand filter. I have a 24k gallon pool but oversized the filter with a 27" to reduce maintenance. My expectations were that by doing so I'd only have to backwash once every 2 weeks. But to my surprise, I've never once had to backwash it at all this season. The pool was very dirty when I opened it, but it cleared out after a couple of weeks. It's been running for almost 3 months since. The PSI when I first turned it on (both this year and last) was around 12 PSI and it's stayed there ever since. The only time I've ever had to backwash was at the end of last season when I had algae that I tried vacuuming (not to waste). In that case the PSI jumped to 20 and after backwashing it dropped back to 12.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining, but I am surprised so I wanted to double check to make sure it isn't possible that maybe the filter is broken and it's not actually filtering. Although...my water is always clear so that would be a surprise as well. Is this normal? I mean, the PSI hasn't risen at all. Maybe 1 or 2 PSI tops in 3 months.

Thanks
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it normal to never have to Backwash?

Sounds normal to me. I have a DE filter that only gets backwashed once or maybe twice a year. I don't get a lot of stuff blown in my pool, and the nylon stretched over the skimmer basket catches a whole lot of stuff first.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

A lot of people only have to backwash once a year. I only have to once or twice a year.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, great! Thanks! My DE filter was a constant battle for me. At startup it took only hours before it needed a bump or DE replacement. During the rest of the summer it was at least once-a-week, maybe 2 weeks if I was lucky. This new once-a-season maintenance lifestyle is great.

Thanks again

*edit* Disclaimer: Since Richard's DE filter needed less cleaning than mine, it's possible that maybe I needed to replace the fingers on mine or maybe it was undersized.
    18 X 36 In-Ground Vinyl Pool, Hayward 1 HP SuperPump, Hayward SP270T 350lb Sand Filter, CompuPool CPSC48 Salt Chlorine Generator, Hayward H400FDN 400 BTU Natural Gas Heater, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, No Main Drain

5. Back To Top    #5

Totally Abnormal!.........Your pool is obviously toooooooo clean and algae free. Slack off some, you're making the rest of us look bad!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Totally Abnormal!.........Your pool is obviously toooooooo clean and algae free. Slack off some, you're making the rest of us look bad!
    lol...I can't take all the credit. I threw on a Salt water system as well. Other than running the robot, skimming the surface, and doing a once-a-month shocking, my pool is maintenance free. I should stop talking before I jinx myself.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a fingered DE filter. When the pool is dirty it can be a ton of work but once you are clear, it's great. I love the clarity it provides and how quickly it does so. I normally bump the filter when I am near it checking my chemicals. As to backwash, I don't have any valve and I do not have a way to backwash the filter. I just clean the filter by taking it apart and cleaning the fingers. I can get the filter cleaned in less than 30 minutes.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Woah, back up there. Why do you "shock" the pool every month? There is no need to shock on a regular schedule if you keep the chlorine at the proper level. What product do you use to shock, or do you use the SWG?
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    Woah, back up there. Why do you "shock" the pool every month? There is no need to shock on a regular schedule if you keep the chlorine at the proper level. What product do you use to shock, or do you use the SWG?
    Actually, you're supposed to shock once a week with liquid or powder shock. I just haven't seen the need for that tight of a schedule, so I go once a month. The SWG has it's own super chlorinate you can do, but it doesn't replace the actual shock.

10. Back To Top    #10

You have over 300 posts and you still don't get it? Regular "shocking" is not needed nor recommended! I have never "shocked" my pool. And I'm not alone. Haven't you ever wondered why "shocking" a perfectly sanitary well balanced happy pool is needed?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

No, that is a pool store myth. If you keep your chlorine good, there is no need to do it on a regular schedule.
    From the article on SLAM:
    If you are maintaining proper FC levels there is no need to SLAM (or shock) weekly, or on any other regular schedule.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by NullQwerty
    Actually, you're supposed to shock once a week with liquid or powder shock. I just haven't seen the need for that tight of a schedule, so I go once a month. The SWG has it's own super chlorinate you can do, but it doesn't replace the actual shock.
    I've been doing it all wrong! I've never shocked my pool in over three years!

I betcha if I start, I won't just be able to call heads or tails if I throw a quarter in the deep end, I'll be able to tell the year!

/endsarcasm
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

When I say "supposed to" I'm referring to the manufacturer instructions of the SWG. In practice I've found that if I leave my pool uncovered for 3 weeks straight in the heat of the summer, then the SWG can't quite keep up with the sun and heat and I'll get a little algae outbreak. I'm sure with the right balancing and care, it could be avoided, but despite my best efforts, I've never been able to achieve that. The level of effort and expense required for the once a month shocking makes it a non-issue anyway. With the pool covered though, I've found the shocking to be unnecessary with the SWG because the low chlorine level is sufficient.