Intex Skimmer Basket - how low should it go

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Hi all. I have an Intex Ultra frame 16x48 AGP. I have an embarrassing question to ask about the skimmer basket, which has the base, then the white skimmer basket inside of that, then the floaty blue thing over/inside that (I know real great explanations).

How deep in the water should the actual base of the skimmer basket be under the water? It appears the blue part floats up to the top of the water, but i'm worried if I put it too deep it won't work right (or won't keep what it catches in the skimmer basket), or if I put it too high with the temps we're having causing water to evaporate, it might go above the water line and my filter could run for hours without being able to suck in water because it's higher than the water.

Coincidentally in the manuals I have, it doesn't even list the skimmer basket in the parts lists even, even though this came with the pool.

To keep the blue ring in the base with rough water movement I've found that setting the base to about half the blue keeps them together. No problem with things floating out while the pump is running. My problem is forgetting to clean the basket before shutting off the pump......dog fur floats.....then sinks to make a nice LARGE ball of fur on the floor.

Suggestion: Through the wall skimmer, even if you are not planning to hard plumb the pool, with the top of the TTW on or slightly above the top seam. I know I will be, later in this season!

Yeah, that's what I meant :)

That manual looks pretty similar to the one I have, that one looks a little nicer, but I'm sure the same rules apply. I'll print up that manual too so I have it now, thanks Bama.

I agree with Charlie. I used the over the rail skimmer like you have for a year and then upgraded to a nice through the wall skimmer. The difference is night and day. I also hard plumbed it, which may have helped too. But from what I've heard the biggest advantage to hard plumbing your system is getting rid of the junky stock plunger type valves, and you really don't have to hard plumb to do that. You will have to come up with a way to go from a standard ball valve PVC connection to the proprietary Intex hose though, which can be a pain - but there are lots of instructions on this site :) Good luck and have fun!

Charlie, my apologies, didn't even see your reply, my window was too small and I forgot to scroll up haha. Black, thanks for clarifying what TTW meant, that would have been my next post haha. that TTW does sound kinda cool though.

But if I'm understanding Charlie's post, which I think says to put it deep enough to leave half the blue floating part floating, that would be somewhere between 1-5 inches like Bama said.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.