Comments from a former bad pool owner.

Jul 18, 2013
MA
Hey TFP,

I just want to thank everyone of you here for the awesome support and detailed pool school. After just one week I have managed to turn my pool around from Crud to crystal. With just some basic store bought items!! I managed to SLAM my pool to a point where I was getting about 1ppm drop overnight and the water was clear, I assume that my CC is low due to no color change (light yellow to dark yellow, it stays consistent) with the OTO but cannot be 100% sure.

Having to do this all on a dime was tough and next season I will be planning a budget for the pool that involves the TF-100 for sure. I am also convinced that if I got a bigger pool I will be able to handle the cleaning and maintenance, with a little help from you all here at TFP.

I am confident with my chemicals now , instead of flying blind, and while no pool zen master, I have mastered this pool (for now).

To anyone that is nervous about their pool. I can assure you that the kind people here will get you on the right path, not make you feel stupid or inferior, and teach you things that the pool store guys can't, or won't. If I thought I could get away with it I would post flyers in my local walmart near the pools.

I will lurk here for a long time to come, and leave the answers to the experts, but my pool learning journey will continue (until i have another issue and I'm back here searching for the answer or asking more questions)

THANK YOU!!

Agreed 100%.. This is by far the best site for pool owners. I was lost when I first got my pool set up and was so lucky to have found this site.. The people are so helpful and the site really teaches you how to take care of your pool without spending a lot of money.. I am glad you are enjoying your pool, it makes it a lot better when you can actually swim in it during the summer instead of spending your time stressing and wondering what happened to it.. Happy Friday :party:

Cordova:

Congrats on clearing up your pool...Well done :goodjob:

Cordova said:
To anyone that is nervous about their pool. I can assure you that the kind people here will get you on the right path, not make you feel stupid or inferior, and teach you things that the pool store guys can't, or won't.
That's because virtually every one of us was "Pool Stored" in the past and remember having many of the same problems that many new members are going through.

Cordova said:
Having to do this all on a dime was tough and next season I will be planning a budget for the pool that involves the TF-100 for sure.
I would make getting the TF-100 Job One. A little perspective on cost...My almost once a week Starbucks habit involving a simple order of regular brewed coffee and a breakfast pastry comes out to $4.55, which is about $0.50 per day. Ordering a TF-100 at $68, the cost per day for the first year is about $0.19 (shipping costs will add another penny or two to this figure). At the end of year one, the cost of the test kit is fully amortized. As satisfying as the coffee and breakfast pastry is, it will not provide ongoing benefits that the TF-100 will including saving you $ by avoiding chemical overdoses as well as helping you avoid algae and other organic contamination while also helping you extend the life of your pool surface & equipment. So, factoring in the benefits of the TF-100, it would actually cost less than the "on-paper" cost of $0.19 per day.

This site really is great! I'm on day three with my first pool ever. So far its great, I think I am testing way too much, but that's my ocd kicking in. I keep waiting for something to be "off", but between this site and the pool calculator, everything is good so far!!

BoDarville said:
I would make getting the TF-100 Job One. ... At the end of year one, the cost of the test kit is fully amortized.
I will second this. I bought the TF-100 and the SpeedStir mid-season last year. My first reaction was this is a lot of money to spend on water testing for my little pool. Now I realize it was a bargain.

With the TF-100 I was able to test my own water accurately and I could avoid costly trips to the pool store. Every time I walked through that door I was spending $20 or more so the test kit quickly paid for itself, plus gives you peace of mind knowing that you are in control of your pool. Now I buy all my chemicals in the laundry aisle at the grocery store or WalMart - bleach, borax, and baking soda!

Someone recommended the SpeedStir and I'm glad I got this too. It makes testing much quicker, probably more accurate, and it's fun to use. It's not 100% necessary, but once you use it, you will be glad you have it and won't want to be without it.

LookBehindYou said:
This site really is great! I'm on day three with my first pool ever. So far its great, I think I am testing way too much, but that's my ocd kicking in. I keep waiting for something to be "off", but between this site and the pool calculator, everything is good so far!!

No such thing as in testing too much lol.. I do the same thing :goodjob: Better to be on top of things :)

woodyp said:
Don't just lurk!.........chime in and help others with your new found "super pool abilities"! :-D
I won't rule it out, but I have to shed my water wings, so to speak :)

LookBehindYou said:
better to be sure than trust a poor reading, in fact when i was testing things to start with I realized I was way over on what I thought I had for gallons of water, and I would not have noticed except that I added 2/3 of the baking soda it said i needed and ended up with more TA than I expected, gave me a combination ah-ha! / oh-Crud moment, luckily i had not added my bleach at that stage or I would have been way over!

BoDarville said:
I would make getting the TF-100 Job One. A little perspective on cost...
Indeed i will! and possibly pick up a speed stir, feeling like a chemist will brighten my day , and make for some interesting facebook photos :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.