Air in dedicated vacuum line? Barracuda G2 stalling

Pepper

Jul 26, 2013
We have a Barracuda G2 vacuum connected to a dedicated vacuum line in pool. Worked great for the first two months last summer then was inconsistent. When opened pool this summer, installed new diaphragm, did major backwash to sand filter, checked for cracks and leaks, checked water pull with pressure gauge that comes with vacuum and still stalls. So, it will work just fine, the it gets "stuck" until we move it, then will work fine again for a bit. The only thing left that I can think of is that I notice more air in the pump basket when I switch over to pull water from vacuum. I don't know where the air is coming from. It is not the hose attached to the vacuum. Where could this air come be coming from and how might I fix it. Would be so happy to have a functioning vacuum again!

Sorry, no advice, just sympathy! I'm having a similar problem. I posted about it on "Pumping Station" because I was questioning whether my pump motor was strong enough to run the cleaner. Mine doesn't stall (yet) unless the deflector gets caught under something, but it is all I can do to get enough suction to run the thing even though it is supposed to be a low suction-friendly cleaner. I also get air in the pump basket in spite of a lot of troubleshooting. That happens as soon as I restrict the water flow by shutting off the drain, even before the cleaner is attached. I've lubed the pump basket O-ring, but I haven't replaced it in a while. I kind of doubt it will work, although it's not an expensive option to try so it can't hurt.

It's pretty common to have more air in the pump basket when a vacuum is hooked up than when it isn't. However, if air bubbles are constantly getting into the pump basket then you have a suction side leak and it needs to be fixed. Common place for air to leak in are the pump drain plugs, the pump basket lid, Any valves or fittings in the suction line.

Remove, clean and reseal the drain plug(s).
Clean and lubricate the pump basket lid o-ring. Check it for nicks too.
Run water over any fittings while inpsecting the basket and see if the air lessens or goes away.

Thank you for the replies! I understand what the pump o ring is and I will check/replace it and see what happens. What are drain plugs and how do I check and clean those? If they are in the pool, all of my returns are in the bottom of the pool.

I've got to admit that I didn't even know pumps had a drain plug either until I read about them on here recently. You can search pump diagrams online. It looks like they are located on the lower front part of the pump. Very small things! I will try lubing it and replacing the O-ring.

I went out and worked over the plug and gasket (which looks brand new) but what I am thinking the problem is, is the line from the vacuum to the pump not the pump itself. The vacuum and main drain share a connection valve and when the vacuum part is shut all the way off I do not have an air in the pump problem, it is only a problem when I open up part of the valve so it sucks water from the vacuum. Any thoughts on how I check that out? I sprayed a little soapy water in the connection where the pipes come together and did not see anything, but the air is sucking in not blowing out. Also I do to see any drips or leaks in the pipes, but maybe not checking the right spot? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!

The best way to test it is to turn the valve where it's sucking water from the vacuum line and then run water over the valve and fittings and watch to see if the air gets less or stops. If it does you've found your leak. Keep in mind that you can have a suction air leak and not drip a drop of water out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.