Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquidator check valves question

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquidator check valves question

Got my 8 gal Liquidator today. I tried to blow air with my mouth through the check valves in the flow direction. There is a noticeable resistance. Is this a defect or a design flow, or is it common to LQ's check valves?
    One would think that a check valve shouldn't have any resistance in the flow direction. My pump and all the setup is above water level. Should I or shouldn't I use these valves?
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Liquidator check valves question

Hey,

That's normal. The valves have to be spring-loaded in the closed position so they will operate regardless of their orientation. (i.e. they'll work upside down)

Yes, install them.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow!
    You issued my shipping label less than a minute after I placed the order and now you answered my question in less than a minute after it was posted.
    If this is not a great service, I don't know what is
    Thank you, Dave.
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

4. Back To Top    #4

I got my LQ less than 48 hours after ordering.... and had a similar question about the check valves. I saw others took them off to resolve "issues". Is there a rule of thumb that will dictate whether or not to use them? I think it would be easier to add them if there was an issue after completing an install without them as opposed to having to rerun tubing to remove them. Although I could just pick up extra tubing when I get the "piece" to connect the tubing to the drain plug on the pump........
    KenJ
    Glenside, PA
    16x32 Vinyl IG, 21K Gals
    1 HP, 2 Speed Whisperflo (WFDS-24) pump, Hayward S310T2 (31"!) sand filter
    Jacuzzi 4-Wheel Tracker vacuum; cheap fountain water feature but great for raising pH
    My layout: http://www.geocities.com/irishkenj/pool.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

The general rule of thumb is that if the Liquidator inlet and outlet holes are above pool water level, you do not need the check valves.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

6. Back To Top    #6

I originally installed my without the check valves, and everything worked fine. However, when the pump would shut off, the tanks would empty into the inlet side and the water level in the LQ would lower about an inch or two. I wasn't sure if there was really an issue, but I decided to install the check valve on the inlet side only. The check valve works fine and now the water stays in the tank.

I too tried to blow through the check valves, but was not able to no matter how hard I tried. I thought that there might be a problem with them, but when I installed the one, it worked fine.
    10K White Plaster Pool Built in 2007. Hayward Pump and DE Filter, Hayward Navigator, Liquidator (Removed due to issues), Solar Blanket, BBB user.