Watching PB closely - some of his statements are scary!

Jul 12, 2013
Saint Louis, MO
Since signing my contract, I have learned a LOT about pool construction. Thanks, TFP! What really scares me is what my PB says when I ask some questions. Here are some examples:

Me- "I'm interested in a variable speed pump."
PB- "Nobody uses those. They are too expensive & don't save very much in electricity."

Me- "I'd like white LED lights."
PB- "I thought the only reason to use LED was to get colors."
Me- "LED lights use 80% less electricity & the bulbs last years longer than incandescent."
PB- "Oh. That's interesting."

Me- "The rebar you installed sticks into the ground. I'm concerned about rust & concrete cracking."
PB- "It only goes into the gravel, not into the ground."
Me- "Rebar should be completely encased in concrete."
PB- "Oh. Maybe we can cut off the bottom ends."

PB- "We hit your sewer lateral while excavating. I thought sewer laterals only went out the front yard."
Me- "You knew that the main sewer line ran along the back of my property. There was a green flag there."
PB- "I've never seen a green flag in a back yard before."

Me- "How often should I wet the shotcrete?"
PB- "Unless it's really hot, you don't need to wet it at all."

I could go on & on, unfortunately...
I'm watching him like a hawk...

Crazy question --

Is this your PB's first pool?

Maybe his first construction project?

If it isn't either of the above, Ask him for names with addresses and phone numbers of the others that have used him for ANY project. If he can't give you any, find a way to get out of the contract with him.

Off chance may be that he's kidding around with you. Up to you to find out.

I've seen 2 other pools he built, and a co-worker used him as well. My co-workers job wasn't perfect, but he was satisfied nonetheless. I think one part is that he knows nothing about energy efficiency, and that has been one of my goals (in spite of living in the land of cheap electricity). He builds pools a certain way & doesn't seem to know anything else.

msm stl said:
Since signing my contract, I have learned a LOT about pool construction. Thanks, TFP! What really scares me is what my PB says when I ask some questions. Here are some examples:

PB- "Nobody uses those. They are too expensive & don't save very much in electricity."

Me- "I'd like white LED lights."
PB- "I thought the only reason to use LED was to get colors."
Me- "LED lights use 80% less electricity & the bulbs last years longer than incandescent."
PB- "Oh. That's interesting."

Me- "The rebar you installed sticks into the ground. I'm concerned about rust & concrete cracking."
PB- "It only goes into the gravel, not into the ground."
Me- "Rebar should be completely encased in concrete."
PB- "Oh. Maybe we can cut off the bottom ends."

PB- "We hit your sewer lateral while excavating. I thought sewer laterals only went out the front yard."
Me- "You knew that the main sewer line ran along the back of my property. There was a green flag there."
PB- "I've never seen a green flag in a back yard before."

Me- "How often should I wet the shotcrete?"
PB- "Unless it's really hot, you don't need to wet it at all."

I could go on & on, unfortunately...
I'm watching him like a hawk...

I'm not shocked at all.

PB- "I like to install proven equipment. Those variable speed pumps haven't been around long enough for me to trust them."

Looks like you have Pentair EasyTouch controls being installed per your signature. Was that by your request or was your builder familiar with it? Hopefully when it comes time to install and explain that system to you your PB's head won't explode.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.