Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Watching PB closely - some of his statements are scary!

1. Back To Top    #1

Watching PB closely - some of his statements are scary!

Since signing my contract, I have learned a LOT about pool construction. Thanks, TFP! What really scares me is what my PB says when I ask some questions. Here are some examples:

Me- "I'm interested in a variable speed pump."
    PB- "Nobody uses those. They are too expensive & don't save very much in electricity."

Me- "I'd like white LED lights."
    PB- "I thought the only reason to use LED was to get colors."
    Me- "LED lights use 80% less electricity & the bulbs last years longer than incandescent."
    PB- "Oh. That's interesting."

Me- "The rebar you installed sticks into the ground. I'm concerned about rust & concrete cracking."
    PB- "It only goes into the gravel, not into the ground."
    Me- "Rebar should be completely encased in concrete."
    PB- "Oh. Maybe we can cut off the bottom ends."

PB- "We hit your sewer lateral while excavating. I thought sewer laterals only went out the front yard."
    Me- "You knew that the main sewer line ran along the back of my property. There was a green flag there."
    PB- "I've never seen a green flag in a back yard before."

Me- "How often should I wet the shotcrete?"
    PB- "Unless it's really hot, you don't need to wet it at all."

I could go on & on, unfortunately...
    I'm watching him like a hawk...
    18x40 ft shotcrete, 4-8 ft deep. Pebble Sheen finish. Coverstar auto cover. Hayward c4030 filter. Hayward H series 300k BTU. Intelliflo pump. Intellichlor IC40. Pentair Easytouch controls. Dolphin Nautilus robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Watching PB closely - some of his statements are scary!

Oh my!!!! Are you able to be there every min. he is there? Just think of the stuff you would miss or he does not do if you are not right there! SCARY!

Good luck!
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Breach of contract due to incompetence?? *hopeful*

Sounds like a nightmare in the making, err... unfolding.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Crazy question --

Is this your PB's first pool?

Maybe his first construction project?

If it isn't either of the above, Ask him for names with addresses and phone numbers of the others that have used him for ANY project. If he can't give you any, find a way to get out of the contract with him.

Off chance may be that he's kidding around with you. Up to you to find out.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

6. Back To Top    #6

I've seen 2 other pools he built, and a co-worker used him as well. My co-workers job wasn't perfect, but he was satisfied nonetheless. I think one part is that he knows nothing about energy efficiency, and that has been one of my goals (in spite of living in the land of cheap electricity). He builds pools a certain way & doesn't seem to know anything else.
    18x40 ft shotcrete, 4-8 ft deep. Pebble Sheen finish. Coverstar auto cover. Hayward c4030 filter. Hayward H series 300k BTU. Intelliflo pump. Intellichlor IC40. Pentair Easytouch controls. Dolphin Nautilus robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by msm stl
    Since signing my contract, I have learned a LOT about pool construction. Thanks, TFP! What really scares me is what my PB says when I ask some questions. Here are some examples:

PB- "Nobody uses those. They are too expensive & don't save very much in electricity."

Me- "I'd like white LED lights."
    PB- "I thought the only reason to use LED was to get colors."
    Me- "LED lights use 80% less electricity & the bulbs last years longer than incandescent."
    PB- "Oh. That's interesting."

Me- "The rebar you installed sticks into the ground. I'm concerned about rust & concrete cracking."
    PB- "It only goes into the gravel, not into the ground."
    Me- "Rebar should be completely encased in concrete."
    PB- "Oh. Maybe we can cut off the bottom ends."

PB- "We hit your sewer lateral while excavating. I thought sewer laterals only went out the front yard."
    Me- "You knew that the main sewer line ran along the back of my property. There was a green flag there."
    PB- "I've never seen a green flag in a back yard before."

Me- "How often should I wet the shotcrete?"
    PB- "Unless it's really hot, you don't need to wet it at all."

I could go on & on, unfortunately...
    I'm watching him like a hawk...
    I'm not shocked at all.

PB- "I like to install proven equipment. Those variable speed pumps haven't been around long enough for me to trust them."
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like you have Pentair EasyTouch controls being installed per your signature. Was that by your request or was your builder familiar with it? Hopefully when it comes time to install and explain that system to you your PB's head won't explode.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Personally, I'm waiting for the next installment: PB's instructions for startup and balancing
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Wow! Scary answers and false in content