Solar cover thickness beware!!

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
Just wanted to let anyone that orders solar covers from solarcovers.com, know that the thicknesses have changed. What was sold as a 12 mil cover 3 years ago is now much thinner. I ordered the same cover recently that I ordered 3 years ago and was surprised to see that it was much thinner. I think they sent me an 8 mil cover. Original shipping weight of 38 lbs, was now 32 lbs. Had several conversations with them about it on the phone, and they assured me that I did get what was being sold "as" a 12 mil cover, and tried to tell me that 8 mil, 12 mil, and 16 mil are just industry language used by the manufacturer NTI, and not the "actual" thickness. I told them that was nonsense. They would have upgraded me to a 16 mil for free, but unfortunately I had already installed the cover on the pool and they wouldn't take it back, but they did give me a credit to keep the cover.

At least when you buy a 2x4 you know what you are getting and have known for quite a while. But when you order the exact same cover and get 2/3rd's what you got last time, that's a problem! That's why the company was so willing to credit me enough $ to keep it. They know they are wrong. Next time I will go to one of the local pool stores and see it for myself before I buy it, or at least now I know how much these things weigh so I can make an informed decision if I buy one online.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.