Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover thickness beware!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover thickness beware!!

Just wanted to let anyone that orders solar covers from solarcovers.com, know that the thicknesses have changed. What was sold as a 12 mil cover 3 years ago is now much thinner. I ordered the same cover recently that I ordered 3 years ago and was surprised to see that it was much thinner. I think they sent me an 8 mil cover. Original shipping weight of 38 lbs, was now 32 lbs. Had several conversations with them about it on the phone, and they assured me that I did get what was being sold "as" a 12 mil cover, and tried to tell me that 8 mil, 12 mil, and 16 mil are just industry language used by the manufacturer NTI, and not the "actual" thickness. I told them that was nonsense. They would have upgraded me to a 16 mil for free, but unfortunately I had already installed the cover on the pool and they wouldn't take it back, but they did give me a credit to keep the cover.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover thickness beware!!

Good info. I ordered from there in the winter. Got what I ordered though. I think.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

My family owns a janitorial supply company and I can tell you it is the same way with trash can liners, any resemblance to reality is purely coincidental.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Ever measure a 2x4, etc piece of wood?
    15x30 SWG AGP, 1HP Pump
    8x20 Solar Heating

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, but if 2x4's were to do what has been happening in the plastic sheeting industry they would now be nearly the size of toothpicks
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

At least when you buy a 2x4 you know what you are getting and have known for quite a while. But when you order the exact same cover and get 2/3rd's what you got last time, that's a problem! That's why the company was so willing to credit me enough $ to keep it. They know they are wrong. Next time I will go to one of the local pool stores and see it for myself before I buy it, or at least now I know how much these things weigh so I can make an informed decision if I buy one online.
    20,000 gal., Jacuzzi 250L Laser Sand Filter, inground w/vinyl liner, 1hp pump motor, TF-100 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by bradatkins
    Ever measure a 2x4, etc piece of wood?
    2X4's (and all other dimensional lumber) represent the size of the stock after the rough cut, but before it is planed. This is why dimensional lumber is still a consistent size
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter