How could the pool light still be leaking?

Feb 21, 2013
Pleasanton CA
Hi,

The wiring for my pool light is housed in brass pipe. I recently had a palm tree near the pool cut down. While they were grinding the roots, they accidentally gashed the brass pipe. Water started coming out of the gash and my pool began draining at a higher than normal rate. I hired a local pool repair company to plug up the wire hole in the light housing in the pool using some butyl tape. The first time, they did this without draining the pool (the guy dove in with goggles). Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem, as water was still leaking out of the gash in the pipe. The second time, they guy drained the pool below the level of the light to get a better look and ensure the butyl was completely plugging the hole. He even caulked some additional stuff (I don't remember what it was) around the butyl. After I filled my pool back up, still no luck, water was still coming out of the gash in the pipe.

I spoke with the manager at the pool repair company and he said there could be a break where the pipe is connected to the light housing. If the butyl was properly applied to plug up the hole, I don't understand how that could still result in water flowing through the brass pipe. I really don't know how the brass pipe is connected to the pool light housing, so maybe someone can (better) explain to me how this is possible?

Thanks,
Steve

It seems they are not completely sealing the pipe at the niche. I would try to fix the pipe at the point where it was damaged by the digging. It will be more work, but it should last a long time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.