new kid on the block..HELP!!

plaitld:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The chlorine/CYA relationship is the first aspect of managing pool water chemistry that I would get a solid understanding of. Chlorine must be replenished frequently (daily in most cases) during the swim season in order to provide proper sanitation. The amount of chlorine needed is dependent on the CYA level.

Here are a couple of resources to get you started: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Basic Pool Care Schedule, Recommended Pool Chemicals, Chlorine CYA Chart

Read through the links we've provided and ask questions, we're here to help and want you to have a wonderful experience with your pool. Chlorine can get eaten up by the sun, so CYA acts like sunscreen and protects it. In doing so it binds some of the chlorine so that only a percentage is active. This means you have to raise the amount of chlorine you put in based upon how much CYA you have in the pool. This is where the pool calculator really helps, you put in what your CYA level is, what your current chlorine level is and it will tell you how much chlorine you need to add.

Melissa, I'm a new pool owner too and once I found this website and listened to the advice, I really got my pool water under control.

First thing, go here --> http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison and buy a test kit. I own and recommend the TF-100. If budget allows, buy the SpeedStir as well. If you order today, you should have it by early next week. You may initially think this is a lot of money to spend on a test kit, but I guarantee it will quickly pay for itself by saving you money on expensive pool store chemicals. Now I avoid the pool store and buy all my pool chemicals in the laundry aisle at the supermarket - bleach, borax, and baking soda!

You mean the "Nature2 Frog system"?

If you like metals in your water, use it. Personally, I don't want copper or silver ions in my water that can cause problems down the road, like with blond or colored hair and fingernails turning unnatural colors. Or even hard to remove metal staining on pool walls and floors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
plaitld said:
I have a summer escapes 15 x 48 metal frame pool..I have no idea what I need to put in it...any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Melissa

Melissa,
Step 1 - Pool School - Upper right hand corner of every page and ... http://www.troublefreepool.com/category.php?c=getting_started
Step 2 - Order a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 which is reference in pool school
Step 3 - read pool school again
Step 4 - post up the results when your test kit comes in and we will walk you through what you need to do step by step.

The folks here are scientifc in the approach to pool maintenance. There is no lower cost / more effective way to maintain your pool.

:lovetfp:

plaitld said:
What do u think about" the flippin frog"??

Looks to be a cheaper version of the Nature2. I would stay well well away from the snake oil.

Read pool school a couple of times. it really will help you to understand what is in your pool.

Most folks here use a measuring cup and household bleach to get their chlorine into the pool, some use salt water generators and a few of us silly folk have big bleach drums and pumps to dose our pools 3 or more times a day (mostly because we are tech geeks). You won't find much support for the mineral based systems as they cause more harm than good (folks with mineral systems show up here almost daily with a PLEASE HELP MY POOL IS GREEN message).

What you will need:
Good test kit (please just get the TF-100)
bleach (also called liquid shock - NOT GRANULAR)
Cyanuric Acid (Stabilizer)
muratic acid (maybe)
baking soda (maybe)
Borax (maybe)

Like Dan said, you only need four things to get started

Water, CYA, Bleach and kids :)

You need chlorine (or another chemical) to kill the algae and other bacteria the make a pool cloudy and green. The chlorine is consumed by sunlight and in the process of killing the algae and stuff. The CYA (aka conditioner or stabilizer) protect the chlorine (CL) from the sun to make it stay in the pool longer.

We HIGHLY recommend liquid chlorine (laundry bleach) as opposed the solid forms (bag/puck/stick/powder) of chlorine. All of the solid forms have extra chemicals that make it harder, in the long run) to keep your pool clear as they build up and cause other issues.

The Pool School explains the "why we do it and How we do it". This process we teach here is completely opposite to what the pool stores tell you to do... and it works exceedingly well... using bleach and other chemicals from the grocery store.

The TFP process requires knowledge and TESTING using your own test kit.

YES! ... in the shade

Here is the full shot

IMG_5344.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.