Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new kid on the block..HELP!!

1. Back To Top    #1

new kid on the block..HELP!!

I have a summer escapes 15 x 48 metal frame pool..I have no idea what I need to put in it...any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Melissa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new kid on the block..HELP!!

Welcome

Water, CYA, Bleach and kids
    Go to http://www.poolcalculator.com/ for proper amounts of CYA and Bleach.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/ to learn about maintaining a pool.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

What is CYA?

4. Back To Top    #4

Stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid.

You need it to protect your chlorine from the sun.

Using http://poolcalculator.com you can determine how much of the granules to put in an old sock hanging in front of your return (where the water comes back into your pool from the pump).
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

plaitld:

Welcome to TFP!

The chlorine/CYA relationship is the first aspect of managing pool water chemistry that I would get a solid understanding of. Chlorine must be replenished frequently (daily in most cases) during the swim season in order to provide proper sanitation. The amount of chlorine needed is dependent on the CYA level.

Here are a couple of resources to get you started: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Basic Pool Care Schedule, Recommended Pool Chemicals, Chlorine CYA Chart
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone.. I'm still very confused. ..

7. Back To Top    #7

Read through the links we've provided and ask questions, we're here to help and want you to have a wonderful experience with your pool. Chlorine can get eaten up by the sun, so CYA acts like sunscreen and protects it. In doing so it binds some of the chlorine so that only a percentage is active. This means you have to raise the amount of chlorine you put in based upon how much CYA you have in the pool. This is where the pool calculator really helps, you put in what your CYA level is, what your current chlorine level is and it will tell you how much chlorine you need to add.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

8. Back To Top    #8

Melissa, I'm a new pool owner too and once I found this website and listened to the advice, I really got my pool water under control.

First thing, go here --> http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison and buy a test kit. I own and recommend the TF-100. If budget allows, buy the SpeedStir as well. If you order today, you should have it by early next week. You may initially think this is a lot of money to spend on a test kit, but I guarantee it will quickly pay for itself by saving you money on expensive pool store chemicals. Now I avoid the pool store and buy all my pool chemicals in the laundry aisle at the supermarket - bleach, borax, and baking soda!
    Jim
    Intex 15' x 42" -- 4,000 gallons
    installed August 2012
    Intex 2650 sand filter, Hayward skimmer
    TF-100 test kit, TFP method

9. Back To Top    #9

What do u think about" the flippin frog"??

10. Back To Top    #10

You mean the "Nature2 Frog system"?

If you like metals in your water, use it. Personally, I don't want copper or silver ions in my water that can cause problems down the road, like with blond or colored hair and fingernails turning unnatural colors. Or even hard to remove metal staining on pool walls and floors.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by plaitld
    I have a summer escapes 15 x 48 metal frame pool..I have no idea what I need to put in it...any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Melissa
    Melissa,
    Step 1 - Pool School - Upper right hand corner of every page and ... http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Step 2 - Order a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 which is reference in pool school
    Step 3 - read pool school again
    Step 4 - post up the results when your test kit comes in and we will walk you through what you need to do step by step.

The folks here are scientifc in the approach to pool maintenance. There is no lower cost / more effective way to maintain your pool.

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Flipping frog has silver chloride and chlorine tablet

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by plaitld
    What do u think about" the flippin frog"??
    Looks to be a cheaper version of the Nature2. I would stay well well away from the snake oil.

Read pool school a couple of times. it really will help you to understand what is in your pool.

Most folks here use a measuring cup and household bleach to get their chlorine into the pool, some use salt water generators and a few of us silly folk have big bleach drums and pumps to dose our pools 3 or more times a day (mostly because we are tech geeks). You won't find much support for the mineral based systems as they cause more harm than good (folks with mineral systems show up here almost daily with a PLEASE HELP MY POOL IS GREEN message).

What you will need:
    Good test kit (please just get the TF-100)
    bleach (also called liquid shock - NOT GRANULAR)
    Cyanuric Acid (Stabilizer)
    muratic acid (maybe)
    baking soda (maybe)
    Borax (maybe)
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

14. Back To Top    #14

Like Dan said, you only need four things to get started

Water, CYA, Bleach and kids

You need chlorine (or another chemical) to kill the algae and other bacteria the make a pool cloudy and green. The chlorine is consumed by sunlight and in the process of killing the algae and stuff. The CYA (aka conditioner or stabilizer) protect the chlorine (CL) from the sun to make it stay in the pool longer.

We HIGHLY recommend liquid chlorine (laundry bleach) as opposed the solid forms (bag/puck/stick/powder) of chlorine. All of the solid forms have extra chemicals that make it harder, in the long run) to keep your pool clear as they build up and cause other issues.

The Pool School explains the "why we do it and How we do it". This process we teach here is completely opposite to what the pool stores tell you to do... and it works exceedingly well... using bleach and other chemicals from the grocery store.

The TFP process requires knowledge and TESTING using your own test kit.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

Techguy ... is you avatar a penny at the bottom of your pool?

16. Back To Top    #16

YES! ... in the shade

Here is the full shot

-- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

Are you sure there is water in that pool? Just kidding!

Looks great!