New pool is installed!

minxcal

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2013
South FL
BUT- what a nightmare. From the mean guy in charge of the installation crew to the fact that I now have a pool, full of water, with no pump/filter/SWG running.

The sales guy assured me that they would be hooking everything up to check the plumbing, pump, and SWG and that they would leave an adapter so that we could leave it all running until the electric work is done. Because they didn't schedule the install for today until late Friday afternoon, I can't get an electrician here until next Thursday.

Oh - and there's a piece of top rail missing - said it was damaged in the box and they'd have to order another. I would never recommend this company to anyone!

I've already called the store and let them know I was completely unhappy, but of course, the sales guy isn't in today. The person who is supposed to come and do their "pool school" with us got on the phone and said he would be coming on Saturday. I won't be here Saturday, so nice of him to check my schedule. He said he'd see what he could do to get here sooner, but that he likely wouldn't.

So, now what?

Read Pool School
test your water
Add enough bleach to meet your target for 0 CYA for your sized pool according the PoolCalculator.com (if nothing else one gallon of 8.25% bleach (great Value, Chlorox) for a pool 10,000-20,000 gallons)
stir it as best you can,

If you have a chlorine floater, float two pucks inside the floater to hold you over and add some CYA.

I don't like guessing but I would rather see you clean than green whiel you wait for the pool fools to get their beans in a pile.

Do you have the TF-100 test kit?... or equal

late edit... I just read you SLAM question,YES, I would slam it to get it up and running.

I do have a TF100 and can get out there in about a half hour to bust it open. I have been reading pool school and intend on BBB, but this whole suggestion that you can just leave a brand new filled pool sitting with water with 4 bags if salt in it is just preposterous!

minxcal said:
I do have a TF100 and can get out there in about a half hour to bust it open. I have been reading pool school and intend on BBB, but this whole suggestion that you can just leave a brand new filled pool sitting with water with 4 bags if salt in it is just preposterous!

Right. Do your best to get some chlorine in it. Can you get pump running at all ? The pucks will work until you get everything going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thank you for your help! So, I tested and have .5 FC and of course no CYA. Pool calculator says 3 gallons, 1 quart of 6% bleach to get to 24 which is what I found to be shock for SWG at 60 CYA. Clearly, I have none. Since nothing is running, do I even treat my pool as SWG? They did leave some stuff - any use putting any of this in now?

cb98c1fb-d05e-4978-8277-fe6d41cefafe_zpscaefea75.jpg

Should I add the 3 gallons, 1 quart of bleach and pick up a floater to add a tablet? Will 14 oz of CYA do anything for me? (pool calculator says 86 oz. to get to target of 75 - I can run out and get more if I should)

I thank you all... I have been reading pool school, and I will continue to do so, but I just don't trust myself yet, so asking for expert opinions.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
minxcal said:
Guy just called and will be coming tomorrow at 530 with an adapter. Once this last conference call for work ends, it's on with the testing and adding chlorine.

If you're planning to use an extension cord make sure you use a 10 gauge or 12 gauge minimum. My electrician took about 2 weeks to finally get my wiring and bonding complete. Where are you located in South Central PA?

You should plan on using exclusively liquid chlorine until you get your electrical issues fixed, the pump and filter worked out, the SLAM completed, your water balanced with chlorine and salt, you CYA raised to SWG levels and then start relying on the SWG ( with liquid supplementing until you dial in % and run times.)

Before the filter hooks up (buy a strong enough gauged extension cord, it's important)you can move that water around a bit to circulate what you add by using your brush on the pole. Obviously it's not as good as filtering but you can really circulate the water and get your bleach through it. I would brush/ move water tonight and in the morning before work as I would imagine you'll test with your kit in the am and might need to top off bleach depending on the condition of your fill water.

Thanks, everyone. I added bleach, tested about an hour later and got 28 FC. I've been brushing and stirring and just came in cause it's dark. Electrician is going to stop by tomorrow, and they've done quite a bit of work for us, so I'm hoping I can persuade him to do the work sooner. I'll dig the trench myself if I have to! But, we do have a heavy gauge extension cord at the ready if I have to go that route for a few days. Up and at it bright and early to test and add and brush again if I need to. I do appreciate all of your support.

ASAP -
Where are you located in South Central PA?
fringe of York and Lancaster counties.

Here's a couple of ideas for circulating your pool water until your pump and filter are fully installed:

Sump pump on one side of the pool hose tied off the other side.

Cheap Intex 530 gph all-in-one tower pump...hoses just draped over the side after priming.

Either of these should help keep your water moving until everything is in order.

Well, the FC held up at 28 overnight when I tested at 6:45 am. Just checked it now, we're at 18. Seems about right based on what I've read with the sun beating down on it and no CYA. However, we have a new issue today.

leak_zps4936e24c.jpg

See that? That appears to be a leak. I called the guy who's supposed to come at 5:30 today to allow him to be prepared for the wrath. He suggested that the weight of the pool could simply be pressing out ground water. I calmly explained to him that it's soppy wet, and that it's only in that spot, and that you can see that it's an active leak. The crew happens to be there today, so he may be sending them down. Fun! (this is why my husband did NOT want a pool!)

On a good note, that's an awesome ladder, I have one. I would suggest you make a small paver patio for the ladder landing and place a couple pavers directly under the footing outside the pool. I suggest a chair or a table to collect the towels, glasses and other stuff you carry out to the pool and need to set down before getting into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.