Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing out valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing out valves

I have an old, simple setup. Two black poly lines coming in. One from main drain and one from skimmer. They both have a barbed hard 90 elbow coming off the black poly that turns them each into an old brass gate valve. Then they connect in the middle with a tee and go into my pump with pvc. All 1.5" lines. I bought stuff to swap this setup and but want an opinion before I do the work.

New setup will be a barbed connector coming straight off the top of the two black poly pipes. Threaded so I can screw on a piece of pvc. Then I will glue a softer 90 onto that. I will connect them in the middle with a 3 way Jandy valve. The two lines coming into the Jandy valve will be 1.5" pvc. The single line coming out of the jandy will be 2" with a union and go into my pump. Sound better? I would just leave it but I have air coming in somewhere. If it was my pump seal would I be seeing water on the ground by the pump?
    45ish year old, 16x32, 19,000, IG, Concrete/Fiberglass Hybrid in need of restoration
    Sand filter with 3/4 hp AO Smith pump. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing out valves

That sounds like a good change to me. Make sure your 90s are schedule 40.

You might want to try some shaving cream on your current valves/fittings to see if the air is coming in there. Most common place is the pump cover o-ring and/or the pump drain plugs.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just went and purchased a new o-ring. I have a place around the corner from my office. I have proper lubricant too. No more Vaseline!
    45ish year old, 16x32, 19,000, IG, Concrete/Fiberglass Hybrid in need of restoration

4. Back To Top    #4

I tried smearing shaving cream on every connection by the pump. I didn't see any change. Still air in the basket. Then I poured water over everything to wash the shaving cream off. !!!! All the air went away except a hardly noticeable amount. Very excited about that. I assume it means my air leak is above ground or just below the surface. I guess I'll be tackling my project soon.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well. I started my change out. Here is the existing plumbing. First time trying a picture. Let's see if it works.
    [attachment=0:1gbkgn49]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375223267.816792.jpg[/attachment:1gbkgn49]
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

So I started taking things apart. [attachment=1:37pf53uo]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375223345.286376.jpg[/attachment:37pf53uo]
    Oops. The black poly was joined just under the soil and the connection came right out of the ground. Below my water line. I'm waiting on the water level to go down so I can finish. [attachment=0:37pf53uo]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375223415.451722.jpg[/attachment:37pf53uo]
    I guess that's one way to get your CYA level down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Finished. Waiting for the pool to fill. I had a big ugly brown mess on the floor by my main drain. Started the pump on waste. I think most of it went out. Brushed some of it up into the water trying to get it in the drain. Put a gallon of bleach in. I get to see how much my CYA went down when I test tomorrow.

My waste water shot out about 2 foot further than usual having the air leak fixed--and that was with the skimmer off.

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad to hear it went well! Sounds like you figured out the better trick for finding air leaks..water. I'm not sure I've ever read someone saying the shaving cream worked for them
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

9. Back To Top    #9

The shaving cream didn't find it. All the water I poured on to rinse it off did.

So my leak ended up being underground, right below my valves. The barb connectors had degraded and were soft and very thin. I can't believe I wasn't losing any water as bad as they were. I was able to eliminate 2 barbed connections on both my main drain and skimmer lines. I switched them to PVC. I haven't measured it but my flow seems much better. My pump basket stays full with the motor off for the first time in years.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

My pump basket stays full with the motor off for the first time in years.
    That's a definitive indicator of success....very nice work
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

When I dug up my pipes to make this repair I noticed I have a fourth pipe in the ground. One from the skimmer, one from the main drain, and one going out to the retun. There is a fourth pipe. It looks like it comes from the bottom of the pool, and comes into my equipment room with the others and then just keeps extending past the pump and motor under the concrete. I'm not sure where it stops or what it would be for. Any ideas? Keep in mind this is an old pool, built in the 60s.

Could this be a relief pipe for ground water?