Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cyclospora - another stomach bug in water (and food)

1. Back To Top    #1

San Rafael, CA USA

Cyclospora - another stomach bug in water (and food)

A stomach bug report is currently in the news as shown in the article Stomach Bug Sickens People in 3 More States. This is caused by the protozoan oocyst Cyclospora cayetanensis. More information about it may be found in this technical paper. It is also briefly mentioned in the CDC Effect of Chlorination on Inactivating Selected Pathogen article. It appears to be very chlorine resistant, similar to Cryptosporidium parvum though no specific CT value has been determined for it. As with most protozoan oocysts, it is extremely unlikely to be found in residential pools because it requires an infected person to enter the pool with diarrhea (something that some people unfortunately do in some public pools).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

2. Back To Top    #2
    Antelope, CA

Re: Cyclospora - another stomach bug in water (and food)

I am surprised to read this... and not. I was at a pool store that I don't frequent much getting some 12%. I happened to notiice they sold pool signs and I would like to get one since we are getting more neighborhood kids over.

I noticed one of the "Do Not" signs was strictly focused on diarrhea

Apparently it's Code in CA...
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

It is VERY similar to cryptosporidium. In fact, a cryptosporidium smear is what our hospital uses to test for cyclospora.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, being in a state that has been hard-hit by cyclospora, I was wondering about if chlorine would kill it quickly. Do you all concur that 14 days is a necessary ban following "active diarrhea?"
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

5. Back To Top    #5
    Houston, Texas

14 days seems like a long time, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't know if you continue to shed active parasites after the diarrhea has stopped.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!