Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What can my leak be from? Leaking 2" a day

1. Back To Top    #1

What can my leak be from? Leaking 2" a day

Hi everyone,

So I am at the point in my diagnosis that I have drained the water to a few inches below all returns and skimmer ports. I have no main drain.

I am losing 2" of water every day still.

I have tried using food coloring along various areas of the liner seams to see if it gets sucked in anywhere, however, I really cannot be certain I'm visually seeing any leaks. I don't see any obvious holes, tares, etc...

How can I figure out where my pool is leaking? Is it possible that all of the seams are slowly leaking together? My liner is probably is probably from around 2001. I will mention that at some point this year, in one of the rounded corners, a 6" vertical slit was created from what I would guess is just old vinyl stretching and weathering. I patched the hole - it is very close to the top of the pool... So it's not in the greatest condition, very faded. What is the average life of a pool liner?

Thanks,
    16,000 gal in-ground
    Pump: Hayward C48K2N143 1HP 230V
    Filter: DE Triton Nautilus FNS-36

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What can my leak be from? Leaking 2" a day

you sure it's not evaporation and splashout?
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: What can my leak be from? Leaking 2" a day

Quote Originally Posted by topher
    you sure it's not evaporation and splashout?
    I was told that 1" a day would even be a lot for evaporation (I do have a heater that keeps the temperature above 80 however...) - this is during periods of no swimming.
    16,000 gal in-ground
    Pump: Hayward C48K2N143 1HP 230V
    Filter: DE Triton Nautilus FNS-36