Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG vs. Stennar Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG vs. Stennar Pump

I would like to bump this thread, rather than start a new one. I am new to this forum, and just got my pool back in check in the last few days with much help from the forum members here. In my introduction I stated the issues I have with being around daily to tend to the pool. After doing some reading and research, I think my two options are a Stennar pump to dose chlorine, or a SWG. While I think an SWG is a larger initial investment, they seem to be a better long term solution and the costs might even out when I don't have to add bleach daily. So, which SWG would be my best bet? I don't know pretty much anything about them. Im looking to purchase ASAP, before my pool chemistry starts to decline again....

Post split into separate thread. Please don't hijack threads and instead, start your own. Thanks! - 257WbyMag - Forum Moderator
    Jeremy

15x30 52 inch Above Ground, vinyl liner, 11,500 gallons, 21 inch Sta-Rite sand filter, 1.5hp Sta-Rite pump. Hayward Aqua-Trol HP SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG vs. Stennar Pump

I'm a big fan of the stenner with a 20 gal bleach tank.

No corrosion issues from the salt ... Cheap and easy to maintain.

I refill every 45 days in the summer. Not sure about the winter yet.

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

So you think that a Stenner pump would be more beneficial then a salt water generator? Interesting.

BTW: Thanks for moving the thread!!!
    Jeremy

15x30 52 inch Above Ground, vinyl liner, 11,500 gallons, 21 inch Sta-Rite sand filter, 1.5hp Sta-Rite pump. Hayward Aqua-Trol HP SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

The big argument against salt is if you have flagstone or natural rocks as it will cause them to erode rather quickly ( there are sealers that will solve this ).

The argument against a stenner and a tank is lugging the bottles once a month or 45 days.

Both are good options. I just prefer the stenner option.

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I love my SWG.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, just to stir the pot, how do the Liquidators compare to these. I am considering adding one of these. I like the idea of essentially no moving parts, aside from float valves.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Liquidator has issues with 2 speed pumps, meaning the flow will always vary based on the speed of the pump, other than that - I am nothing to add
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the replies!! karma biker, I have no stones or coping. It is a vinyl walled above ground pool...
    Jeremy

9. Back To Top    #9

Techguy ... I eliminated liquidator because of the small capacity and issues with dumping the whole load into the pool occasionally.

For an above ground I would probably go SWG. Really depends on what was in the immediate vicinity of the pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well I did a good bit of reading and research yesterday, and I am really digging on the Hayward Aqua Trol HP.... It seems like a five minute install and I like that it won't hang off the side of the pool like the RJ model. It also has a built in plug and timer for my pool pump... Any input or advice on this little guy??
    Jeremy

11. Back To Top    #11

Outside my strikezone. I don't know much of anything about the specific SWGs ... BUMP to someone that knows the SWGs.

12. Back To Top    #12

Well I did more reading, and tonight I pulled the trigger on a Hayward Aqua Trol HP... All the research I was doing pointed me to this unit. Hopefully I can get it installed with no issues and up and running soon. It should be here Wednesday..
    Jeremy

13. Back To Top    #13

I have "been there, done that" and figure I'd weigh in too, even though it looks like you've made your choice already. I have had a SWG since we put our 33ft Diam. AGP up about 4 years ago. I went with a SWG because figure it would be trouble free for the most part. While it is...since my pool is almost 26,000 gallons of water, I had to purchase, haul and dump a TON of salt into my pool. What a headache. Then near my pool pump where the SWG was located and mounted, there was rusting metal parts anywhere close the the SWG, and then each season I had to take apart the cell and descale the plates inside, which again is a headache. Then, in the spring, when I opened my pool, I'd add fresh water to bring the pool back up to the skimmer and return level, and of course this would require the addition again of MORE salt. So finally this season I said enough of that...and bought a stennar pump, a 15 gallon tank and hooked it all up...I am dosing about 5ppm per day...and now just dump a couple gallons of chlorine bleach (12.5%) into the container to top it up once a week. That's it. No more worry about salt levels in the pool, salt creep or rust on any of the expose metal parts, etc.

I'd say go with the Stenner you'll be happier in the long run
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump