Sand leveling...tamping...question

Jun 17, 2011
Central Iowa
We are in day 3 of our DIY 27' above ground pool. We have the pavers dug into soil and base ring layed. 90% of the sand was brought in and leveled to 3 or 3.5" thickness before any tamping. We would like to reduce this thickness to closer to 2" and use the excess for area around edge of pool "coving" area where we are short of sand. Can we do this with just a broom and shovel or will that really mess up our leveling?
Next we will put up the wall then for the tamping....... Silly question here but how do folks get the tamping machine out of the pool once they are finished if the walls are up? Would we be best to rent one of those or will the manual square tamps work just as well. I used one last night for quite awhile and it seemed to leave things pretty divoted but maybe the final screening with the shop broom will fix that. We were going to use happy bottom on top of the sand but found out our supplier did not have enough so we are going with just sand base so I am trying to make it as level and divot proof as I can.
Thanks!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.