Help a Newbie out?

Jun 20, 2010
NE Ohio
Day 4 of BBB Method and already much happier with the look of the pool! Stains are gone (knock wood!) and water looks sparkly and clear.

(Under Pool Store tutelage our pool was intentionally dropped to 0 chlorine and 6.8 pH so the low start numbers were expected).

But ...

I can't get my chlorine up.

Today's numbers (I have the wrong test kit but this what I have from mine)
FC 0
TC less than 1 (slight change)
pH 7.6
TA 130
Water temp 71 degrees

Yesterday FC was 1.5 and pH was off so I added 6% bleach solution and Borax per pool calculator. Pleased with pH but chlorine needs tweaking.

I'm confused because I thought any TA over 120 needs adjusting but pool calculator didn't call for anything. It's entirely possible I'm reading this wrong being new. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

We will be away Fri-Sun so my secondary question is how BBB users handle frequent travel?

Worry about TA last, getting it down is a slow process and really only affects how fast PH moves. Keep PH under control and TA will take care of itself at your levels. Do you know what your CYA level is? It's important for determining where to keep you FC at. Also if you have low CYA then you can use pucks while traveling. Otherwise you have to have other strategies, for a couple of days with high CYA I'd bring the pool up to shock level and if available cover it.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I don't think my Poolmaster 5 Way test covers CY so I don't know that number. I'm thinking low only because our pool has run on low chlorine since opening in April. That's only a guess which isn't worth much.

What did you use to chlorinate before switching to BBB? If it was any solid forms of chlorine, I would bet it is very high and that you may have some (invisible) organics growing in your pool consuming your chlorine. Since your FC dropped to 0, and your CC may be higher than .5, you will have to follow SLAM, linked in my signature.

JohnN said:
What did you use to chlorinate before switching to BBB? If it was any solid forms of chlorine, I would bet it is very high and that you may have some (invisible) organics growing in your pool consuming your chlorine. Since your FC dropped to 0, and your CC may be higher than .5, you will have to follow SLAM, linked in my signature.

We used 3" pucks but the pool has been kept at 0 chlorine for the last month (stain removal). It stayed amazingly clear. I read the link for SLAM but it seems I can't SLAM because I don't have CYA numbers and have the wrong test? I need to study.

Also I need to lower the pH I just raised? It was 6.8-7.2 and I just brought it up to 7.6. Still learning.

I appreciate the info. I thought CC of 0 is what we want? Pool is not covered and gets direct sunlight most of the day. We have recently topped off with household/rain water. Appears clear.

I really appreciate all advice. This is day two with my novice testing skills I'm going to see where we are tomorrow.

I appreciate the link. Very helpful.

You do want a CC of 0. That is not the only indicator of a problem, though. You really should get the recommended test. Per the SLAM article in Pool School,
If you have algae, or the CC level is above 0.5, or the free chlorine (FC) level is zero, you should SLAM the pool.
Your FC has been at 0 for a month, so I wouldn't be surprised if something has started growing.

We just got THIS test (ugh!) so it's kind of hard to justify throwing out that $$ and buying new yet. Is it worth buying an expensive kit this late in the season? For about 4 more weeks of pool time? 66 Degrees in Ohio in July(!) I wouldn't be surprised if no one swims again all summer.

I'm going to check out the test kits linked in your signature (thank you!) .

ETA: I checked out this link http://tftestkits.net/Single-Item-Tests-c6/ and see that there is an add on test for CYA. Could I add that to what I already have in order to get the results (ie use the test I have plus this add-on?) or is that a bad idea?

pwrstrk said:
If your going to close in a few weeks maybe wait till next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thanks! It's hard to believe when it feels like summer is just starting but we've learned from past practice that keeping it open past Labor Day makes no sense and that's not far off. It looks great now - just a shame it's too cold to use it. Regardless of how much use it gets I need to "put it to bed" in good shape too.

The link was a huge help. I have no problem making the investment once I read that they warranty their chemicals.

Until we can get a better test:

Last CYA test was on 7/9 and was 30.
Liquid chlorine used since then in 12.5 and 6% concentrations, respectively.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.