Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartridge Filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartridge Filters

I have a Hayward cartridge filter. I put in 4 brand new Pleatco cartridges around Memorial Day.

How many times during the summer do those of you with cartridges clean your filters? My pressure hasn't gone up much at all but I'm wondering if two months or so is a long time to go without cleaning filter cartridges.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartridge Filters

You should clean them when pressure goes up 25% from the clean pressure. For me it took nine months. If it is a new pool build, I would do an initial cleaning after a few months to get the contruction debris out of the filters.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not a new pool. They were brand new cartridges when I put them in and it's only been about 2 months so my thinking is they will be ok for awhile before they actually need cleaning. The pressure hasn't gone up at all so I guess I'm ok.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I clean my cartridge way too often. I clean it probably every 2 weeks. I have never noticed an increase on the pressure gauge. But like was said, you should wait until you see a 25% pressure increase.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

I clean mine once per year (12 months operation). If the cartridge is sized properly, it shouldn't need cleaning more than that.

dschribs, for your pool, you should have at least a 300 sq-ft filter and if you had 425 sq-ft like mine, you might get away with once per year too.

JohnN, cleaning so often will shorten the life of the filter so you might want to increase that some.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    JohnN, cleaning so often will shorten the life of the filter so you might want to increase that some.
    Didn't know that. I might get a new cartridge next year anyway, so I will start cleaning that one less often. When I first open the pool, I have to add a lot of well water, which adds a lot of iron. So I clean the filters every few days until all of the iron is filtered out. Then I go to about every 2 weeks, which I guess I will stop doing.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

For the past few years I have been using skimmer socks early in the season when the tree pollen is high here in the North East. The socks every few days look like they are filled with yellow vomit. Much better catching it there than in the filter. As a result, my cartridges stay clean all year long. I used to clean them around the 4th of July. But now I don't even bother. They make it through the whole season.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?