Pool uncared for for 2+ years

Jul 25, 2013
I just bought a foreclosed home with an in-ground fiberglass pool. It has not been cared for at leaste 2 years. Filled with algae (dark green), water bugs, and a few dead rodents. I just pumped out the pool to about 5-6" deep and added a little shock and removed what rodents i have found. It has a sand filter but I have not done anything with it except to see if it is getting power (it is) and it appears to pump as well. I have never owned or maintained a pool. I guess where do I start? How do I clear out the algae from the pool and the system?

Welcome to TFP!

First, get the water back in the pool. Draining a pool is surprisingly tricky, and ground water could damage the pool by floating it out of the hole.

Start reading Pool School in the upper right, particularly the article on Defeating Algae

Next on the list is to order a good test kit. Look in my siggy to find the link. This will save you time and $$$$$. Do NOT use the pool store! All they want to do is help you spend money.

Stick with TFP and you will be on the way to swimming!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.