High TA

MK1985

Jul 9, 2011
Webster,Wi
My pH has been running right at 7.2 and the TA has been 100, I made the mistake of adjusting my pH and I did get it up to 7.6 but didn't realize it would also raise the TA which is now 130. Even when the pH was at 7.2 should the TA have been lower then 100? How low should I lower the pH to get the TA down or is there another way?

Assuming you are using bleach/liquid chlorine as your chlorine source then the tfp recommended level is 70-90. But I wouldn't worry about it. I would drop your ph to 7.2, then the ph will come up on its own. When it gets to 7.6-7.8 drop it back down to 7.2 this will also lower TA a little. Repeat until you TA is down in the recommended range.

Yes as JohnN said, it would be unusual for ph to stay down at 7.2 with a swg. Are you using any chlorine sources such as dichlor or trichlor (pucks) as a supplement to the swg?

How long were you originally at 7.2 ph and how did you get there? If for some reason your pool is happy at 7.2, I would just keep a close eye on it and not let it drop below 7.0.

As for my chlorine I have only used the swg and bleach to adjust the levels,have never used any pucks in the pool. The pool has been at 7.2 since start up this spring and I just left it there and it never seemed to go any lower so maybe that is it's happy spot. Would it be better to lower it back to 7.2 and see what happens to the TA?

I think I would wait and see if the ph moves from the current 7.6 very fast (keep a close eye on it). Typically it will go up with TA at 130 and a swg, but maybe not in your situation. If it does, then I would drop it to 7.2 and see what happens.

Are you having to add a lot of make up water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.