Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA

1. Back To Top    #1

High TA

My pH has been running right at 7.2 and the TA has been 100, I made the mistake of adjusting my pH and I did get it up to 7.6 but didn't realize it would also raise the TA which is now 130. Even when the pH was at 7.2 should the TA have been lower then 100? How low should I lower the pH to get the TA down or is there another way?
    18'x52" Intex round AGP, 2650 Krystal Clear SWG pump with sand filter and a Hayward H100ID pool heater. TF100 test kit to keep the water sparkly clean.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High TA

Assuming you are using bleach/liquid chlorine as your chlorine source then the tfp recommended level is 70-90. But I wouldn't worry about it. I would drop your ph to 7.2, then the ph will come up on its own. When it gets to 7.6-7.8 drop it back down to 7.2 this will also lower TA a little. Repeat until you TA is down in the recommended range.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you having problems with your pH? If not, and if your CH isn't high, I personally wouldn't worry about it.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

I never had a problem only it stayed at about 7.2 until I added the pH Plus to get it to 7.6. I thought 7.2 was too low for a swg so i raised it.
    18'x52" Intex round AGP, 2650 Krystal Clear SWG pump with sand filter and a Hayward H100ID pool heater. TF100 test kit to keep the water sparkly clean.

5. Back To Top    #5

From what I understand, a SWG tends to raise the pH fairly rapidly on its own, especially with a high TA. Your experience doesn't sound typical to me, so I will let the more experienced users take this one.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes as JohnN said, it would be unusual for ph to stay down at 7.2 with a swg. Are you using any chlorine sources such as dichlor or trichlor (pucks) as a supplement to the swg?

How long were you originally at 7.2 ph and how did you get there? If for some reason your pool is happy at 7.2, I would just keep a close eye on it and not let it drop below 7.0.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

As for my chlorine I have only used the swg and bleach to adjust the levels,have never used any pucks in the pool. The pool has been at 7.2 since start up this spring and I just left it there and it never seemed to go any lower so maybe that is it's happy spot. Would it be better to lower it back to 7.2 and see what happens to the TA?

8. Back To Top    #8

I think I would wait and see if the ph moves from the current 7.6 very fast (keep a close eye on it). Typically it will go up with TA at 130 and a swg, but maybe not in your situation. If it does, then I would drop it to 7.2 and see what happens.

Are you having to add a lot of make up water?

9. Back To Top    #9

I've only had to add a couple of inches this year so it is basically the same water we started with. My pool seemed to be stuck on 7.2 and 100 so maybe that's what it likes.