Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New construction - can rebar penetrate into the ground??

1. Back To Top    #1

New construction - can rebar penetrate into the ground??

My pool builder says that we're almost ready to shoot gunite. As you can see from the picture, every other vertical rebar penetrates the underlying gravel & soil. Everything I read says that any contact of rebar to soil increases chances of concrete failure. Should I insist that my builder cut the rebar short so that the ends are completely encased in concrete? I need to figure this out before he shoots!

[img]http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w586/msm_stl/IMG_20130724_184829_366_zpsc3fa5882.jpg/[img]
    18x40 ft shotcrete, 4-8 ft deep. Pebble Sheen finish. Coverstar auto cover. Hayward c4030 filter. Hayward H series 300k BTU. Intelliflo pump. Intellichlor IC40. Pentair Easytouch controls. Dolphin Nautilus robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New construction - can rebar penetrate into the ground??

try image again...
    18x40 ft shotcrete, 4-8 ft deep. Pebble Sheen finish. Coverstar auto cover. Hayward c4030 filter. Hayward H series 300k BTU. Intelliflo pump. Intellichlor IC40. Pentair Easytouch controls. Dolphin Nautilus robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New construction - can rebar penetrate into the ground??

It looks like he is supporting the vertical structure with the staked rebar. I see rebar staked into the ground daily in commercial construction. But other times I see it called for not allowing it to be touching the ground. I wouldn't think it would be to big an issue in this application but if there is a way to have him change it why not and avoid the entire chance of it being an issue.
    12x24 Doughboy. 8700 gallons~ 2 HP Dyanmo Pump~ 26" Sand Dollar Filter~TF 100 test kit~ Zodiac Ranger AGP automatic cleaner.