Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new test kit arrived

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new test kit arrived

So my pool is still in building stages, heck I don't even have the permit yet....but in the meantime I got the kit and decided to practice and get familiar with it on our Intex "kiddie" pool which is 1000 gallons...you know the blue inflatable ring type.

FC - .5
    CC - .5
    CYA - 55
    PH - 6.8
    TA - 0

TA is the question mark...pretty much did this twice and when I add the R0008 agent which is supposed to turn it green, mine turns red. On the first drop it turns red, I continue to add 5 drops and it stays red. So, do I record this as 0? If I in fact I do, then no worries as the pool calulator tells me to add a ton of Baking Soda to bring it to the target of 100 (I'm guessing that's a good target).

Everything else is covered, so I guess I'm just asking about the TA?

Thanks
    18k gallon IG Sunstone Pearl pebble finish pool, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy 1.5HP VS E-Pump, Jandy 60sqft DE filter, Jandy Legacy Propane Heater, Polaris 3900 Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir, Anchor Mesh pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new test kit arrived

Hmm ... if the TA were 0, the pH would be around 4.5, which may be possible since 6.8 is as low as the test goes.

Am I correct guessing that you are using pucks or dichlor shock to maintain the chlorine (which is much too low BTW)? That would explain the very low pH and TA.

Try testing your tap water for pH, TA and CH and see what you get.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

jbliz beat me...
    Yes, your TA is near zero and your ph is likely way below 6.8 (when it reads 6.8 it can be much lower than that). Do you have some baking soda? I would add enough to get to 50 ppm, then retest ph.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes it was lighter than 6.8 but as you mentioned it didn't go any lower.

So new question? What do I tackle first? PH, TA or CL, or adjust all at once since they are all low and then retest and and see where we go from there?
    18k gallon IG Sunstone Pearl pebble finish pool, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy 1.5HP VS E-Pump, Jandy 60sqft DE filter, Jandy Legacy Propane Heater, Polaris 3900 Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir, Anchor Mesh pool cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Hmm ... if the TA were 0, the pH would be around 4.5, which may be possible since 6.8 is as low as the test goes.

Am I correct guessing that you are using pucks or dichlor shock to maintain the chlorine (which is much too low BTW)? That would explain the very low pH and TA.

Try testing your tap water for pH, TA and CH and see what you get.
    Yes it is (was) a floater with 3in pucks (1).

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to stop with the pucks before the CYA gets any higher.

You should use borax to raise the pH first, this will also raise the TA. If you use baking soda to raise the TA first, then when adjusting the pH the TA will get to be too high.

Once you get the pH in the 7s, then test and adjust the TA further if required.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

7. Back To Top    #7

Edit: Sorry for duplicate info.

If TA is zero, then PH is around 4.5, as Jason said. The best solution is to raise PH with borax. By the time you get the PH into range the TA should be fine. If you raise TA first the TA increase from raising PH will drive TA way too high.

Keep in mind that the Pool Calculator is not very precise for huge PH changes. So use much less than you think you need and do the PH increase in several steps, testing PH after each dose mixes in to see if you have gotten into range yet.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

8. Back To Top    #8

What source is your fill water, and what is its pH and TA? I'm wondering if it would be easier and cheaper to just drain and refill, since it is only 1000 gallons.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

I will test my water, it's well water so I'm interested as well.

And yes no longer using pucks as it was a temp solution when wife brought the little pool home this year.

10. Back To Top    #10

Water source, well water.

PH ~7.0 darker than 6.8' not quite 7.2
    TA - 80

Think I might go the drain and refill route and see where we go from there.

Again this is all a learning curve "playing" with the small pool so when the big pool is in I'm familiar with the test kit and the BBB method to have great water.

Thanks and will be back if I have more questions.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Double check the reagents you used on the TA test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Small pools are harder to keep in balance than big pools since changes occur much more rapidly with smaller inputs. Pucks should only be used (if at all) for the initial startup to add cya. Once the cya is in there, pure bleach is the way to keep FC up based on your cya levels. Balance TA and pH using borax, baking soda and Muriatic acid. In that small of a pool, using the pucks which affect, pH (lowering it) and TA (lowering it) and CYA (raising it) and FC (raising it) it can be almost impossible to reach a proper balance. That is why TFP advocates using the simplest chemicals possible to adjust the fewest parameters as possible.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

OK, I'm back after a few days of draining, filling and adding in increments....new tests as of today:

FC - 7
    CC - 0, tested twice and still never turned red
    TA - 170
    PH - 8.2
    CYA - 60

No more pucks, only using BBB......I know I need to get PH down using Muriatic Acid, but that is something I need to buy...is there something in the house that might be used for this but not well known? If not, got to go out and get some....

Any other advice on these numbers?

For the record, the little pool still has a greenish tint to the water...to be honest this could be because the bottom is pretty dirty, grass clippings from kids, dead bugs and such. No pool vacuum, and don't think a shop vac is the best idea for sucking up the bottom of the pool, so kids and I are scrubbing it, getting the debris to float around, then skimming it out. Not sure that this is the total "green" culprit, but it has to be one of them.

Also, as mentioned at the top, this little pool is just my playground to get familiar with BBB for when the BIG pool gets installed, so all of this in my opinion is my "training camp" if you will.

Anyway, advice is always appreciated.

14. Back To Top    #14

"ph down" products can also be used to lower ph, though we recommend MA first. If this was your "pool in progress" we would encourage you to actively lower TA. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...l%20alkalinity

Those small cart filters that come with those intex style pools are really useless.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

The greenish tint could very well be metals from the well water. Lowering the pH might help with the green tint also. You might want to look into how much metal is in your well water before you fill the big pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process