Do Intex pools collapse

Jun 14, 2012
MA
Has anyone had an Intex pool collapse. Every time someone posts that their pool is out of level you get the warnings of the inevitable collapse. I am wondering if anyone knows first hand of a Intex pool collapsing due to being out of level. I would think if it happened often that there might be damages, injuries and law suits.

Our ring pool collapsed a couple of times until I got it leveled. I wasn't worried about it as I'm in the country, it all stayed on my property and wasn't going anywhere it could do damage. I'd also seen some u-tube videos and knew that if someone was in it when it happened it would be a short ride across the yard with very little chance of harm. But that's my situation, wide open spaces and only my family in the pool. Other situations and bad things could happen. And with a ring pool you don't have metal poles or walls to worry about. My current pool I made sure I was within 1/4" of level before putting it up.

I'm not an advocate of un-level ground, but will share my recent experience.

Our 18' Ultra Frame is roughly 1 blue square out of level. Just slightly less, which is probably 1" or so, I've never been concerned enough to measure.

Our pool gets very hard use by a large group of 8-13 year old kids. On the last day of school we had my daughter's entire 5th grade class over for a pool party. Let me tell you, that pool was jumpin' and rockin' ! After that day it was obvious that my particular un-level situation is not going to be a problem. If it didn't fail that day it never will.

So yes, do make every effort to get your pool level. But if you have an Ultra Frame and it's 1" or so out of whack, chances are you will be OK.

Back to your original question, I believe that I have seen at least 1 story of a pool collapsing but don't recall the details.

One side of my summer escapes metal frame is 2" lower, kids get wild in there going on the 3rd season now with no problems.

I need to get a pic of this summer escapes (probably 18' same as mine) I see on the way home from work its crazy wonky and a tribute to how tough they can be. (Unless its only been up a few weeks or something)

My very first metal frame was given to me by a friend of a friend. It was still set up and I had to take it down and transport it.

It had been up for 2 years and the way he had set it up was by dumping a pile of sand and leveling it out with a rake and then he put the pool up.

It was a foot and a half off on 1 side and wonky all around, I was worried the metal frame had been bent by this but after setting it up on my Level pool area it was fine.

I would never had let my kids in that pool but he had 3 kids and all their friends in there for the first year with no collapse.

Anyone reading this shouldnt see it as an "Ok" to leave there unlevel pool up. Especially if kids are going to be using it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.