Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For Jandy Type valve do you block upstream or downstream?

1. Back To Top    #1

For Jandy Type valve do you block upstream or downstream?

For Jandy Type valve do you block upstream or downstream?

In other words, do you set the valve so that no water enters the valve, or do you set the valve so that no water leaves the valve?

Or....does it matter?

Thanks.
    2013 HotSpring Grandee with Ace Sanitizing System
    25K IG vinyl pool with Alps spillover spa and waterfall. Build Date: June 2013
    Triton II TR100 Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 natural gas pool heater, Intellichlor SWG, Rainbow Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF filter pump, WhisperFlo 2 hp WFE-8 waterfall pump, WhisperFloFX 2 hp spillover spa pump
    Intellibrite 5G (2 pool and 1 in spa) lights :: TFT-100 test kit, Taylor K-1776 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For Jandy Type valve do you block upstream or downstream

Good question that I haven't thought about before. I assume you mean a 2-way valve? I would think they would work either way, but if you think about a three way valve of the same construction, they are set up so the water enters the valve and then goes to the open leg.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

It will work either way. However, if you plumb it so that water can't leave, the water pressure creates a better seal by pushing the gate against the seal.

4. Back To Top    #4

What James said, best to have the water enter the valve so that the pressure is helping the seal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Jandy 2 way valves are clearly marked with an "in" stamped on them so that you install it with water entering the valve for a better seal.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover