Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor DPD test question

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor DPD test question

So I have been playing with the pool water chemistry for about a month now. I have been using the K-1000 OTo for quick testing( comes with the TF-100.) The DPD test question: my 1st time doing this type of testing so forgive my dumb question: when I add the suggested amount of powder the sample turns pink, ok did that right. then I put the drops in and count until it turns clear, ok did that right, But, then a few seconds later it turned pink again??? Do I begin adding drops again and continue counting? Yes i am swirling each drop.
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 x 9 x 52 rectangle. 4545 Gallons.
    12 in Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump w/ GFCI.
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System™ w/ GFCI.
    TF-100 Taylor testing.
    K-1000 Taylor testing.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Taylor DPD test question

Hi, Ame,

You have the FAS/DPD test just for clarification.....it's much different than the DPD test.

You should continue adding drops of R-0871 like you have been doing but make sure you continue to add them until their is absolutely no further color change whatsoever. Then subtract the last drop (the one that made NO further color change) from your total to finish the test.

The pink color will always return if allowed to set for a minute or so but it should not be turning back in the "few seconds" you indicate. I might be that you have not added enough drops to take the test to completion.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

ok, Yes its the FAS/DPD that comes in the TF-100 kit. Like you said maybe I didnt add enough drops to take the test to completion. Because its only a few seconds not 1-2 minutes.
    TF-100 Taylor testing.
    K-1000 Taylor testing.

4. Back To Top    #4

First it is the FAS-DPD test ... The DPD test is like the OTO test only pink.

Second, normal for the water to turn pink again eventually. But if it is only a couple seconds, I am not sure you are done with the FC portion.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sometimes high cc levels can bleed through the fc test like this. Are you measuring cc?

Also, if you're not swirling effectively, the test can react like this. A SpeedStir can help.

6. Back To Top    #6

Great, thanks for info, Im looking now for a speedStir now. That swirling thing may be the issue also. And I did measure CC but not sure how acurrate that was due to my Pink coming back. Will try test again today.
    TF-100 Taylor testing.
    K-1000 Taylor testing.

7. Back To Top    #7

Tftestkits.net has the speedstir.

8. Back To Top    #8

The speedstir was the second best investment for my pool after the TF test kit itself. I even use it to mix the CYA test, then pour it back into the squirt bottle.
    Arvil, 30ft round, 21k gal, AG/vinyl(2003), StaRiteIII ¾hp cartridge 150ft², Polaris65.
    6/30, Temp83°F (28.3°C), pH 7.8, FC 2.8 ppm, CC 0 ppm, TA 100, CH 80, CYA 40, -B4O7 30, CSI-0.17.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by arvil
    The speedstir was the second best investment for my pool after the TF test kit itself. I even use it to mix the CYA test, then pour it back into the squirt bottle.
    Lol now your just playing with it
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

10. Back To Top    #10

The stir bar will fit through the opening on the squirt bottle, and the bottle fits fine on the speedstir. Save yourself a step.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Just be sure to rinse and clean well other cylinders you use, as the CYA residual can interfere with other testing if left behind. Don't ask me how I know...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem