Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confer roll-a-way A-frame ladder coming apart!

1. Back To Top    #1

Confer roll-a-way A-frame ladder coming apart!

My ladder is coming apart and not safe anymore...anyone seen this happen? Can it be fixed? How can i prevent it from happening again?

here are pictures

http://imgur.com/a/7YPOm

The second to last photo is what the good side looks like....the last photo is the damaged part!
    Intex 16'x48" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confer roll-a-way A-frame ladder coming apart!

Maybe pull back together and scab patch it with stainless or aluminum plate and hardware? Why it's coming apart? Exceed the design load or poor design would be a guess on my part. How long have you had it? Maybe a warranty issue?
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought it used....for all i know it was somewhat broken when i got it. In my opinion it looks like a poor design. Looking to get a new ladder....any good solid ones available?
    Intex 16'x48" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
    Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks to me like there are a couple braces that should be in place between the two ladders. I see in the catalog they lay on the top rails of the pool. Did your ladder include these?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I just read, you bought it used. [s:11iu2ker]It looks like you are missing the braces that mount into the holes near to OR And OL in the photos.[/s:11iu2ker]

. Contact Confer, their products seem like one of the better ones on the market.

LATE EDIT: For future readers... my assumptions were wrong, it appears the brace mounts to the outside of the legs
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like that is an older version without the braces. Mine has the braces that attach to the top rail, but there is a slot on the outside of the legs that it hooks into which don't seem to exist on your ladder.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I just installed one of these on my pool. There are supposed to be two braces on either side that get screwed into both legs as well as the top plate of the pool. You can see it in my signature link in one of the pictures towards the bottom of the page. PridgNYC mentions something about a slot, but that didn't exist on mine (and mine's brand new). I simply screwed the braces into the legs using the included self-tapping screws.

Also, I'm guessing a fair amount of rigidity and integrity comes from attaching it to the top rail of a solid walled pool. Perhaps using this ladder unattached is also causing problems.
    Premier (Esther Williams) 24' x 52" Round AGP (13,500 gl.), Hayward 24" Pro-Series S244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, AquaRite SWG, AquaComfort ACT-1100 Heat Pump, Jandy/Zodiac iAqualink Automation System with iPhone App, Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40
    My New Pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Yuo are missing the part. I found the installation instructions for the ladder. http://www.splashnetxpress.com/splas...-Rollguard.pdf

Step 5, photo #4 says:

#4: With ladder in place and sitting on pool bottom, place one of the adjustable braces on the side of ladder so it is resting on the pool top seat. Secure the adjustable brace to the ladder rails using 2-#10 x 1-1/4 self tapping screws. Repeat for the second brace.

I am sure if you called Confer, they would be able to provide the braces.
    -- Guy --

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep, those instructions are for the older version, (instructions are from 2009). The newer version has some improvements (I just got mine a couple months ago). No plastic tabs to cut out, improved tread/riser interlocks, the slot/track for the brace, and probably a few other minor improvements.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter