Chemicals all out of whack! Can I wait until next year?

Jun 21, 2013
Lansing, Michigan
This is our second summer with a pool, and I am finally starting to understand how it all works. I finally got a 6-way test kit (not the one recommended on here), and my chemicals are out of control! I have been fighting a slightly cloudy pool, with occasional scaly spots that sometimes turn into what looks like brown algae (but quickly clears up with a shock of 8 gallons of chlorine). And it won't hold chlorine; but for the most part the pool is clean and clear. My question is, can I just keep up what I'm doing (spending a lot on chlorine), and start fresh next year with a drain and refill? We live in MI, so our swimming season only has about a month and a half left. Here is the good, bad and ugly:

23,000 gallon inground vinyl liner pool, with a 1.5 hp sand filter that we run 24 hrs. a day.
As of tonight:
FC: 0 (I added a gallon of sanitizer last night, and it read 2-4 ppm this morning prior to rain and 5 kids swimming)
pH: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 200 ppm
Hardness: 500 ppm
CYA: too high to measure with kit that goes up to 100 :shock:

I feel like there is nothing I can do to save it at this point, but wait and start fresh. Is that my best course of action? Also, can someone please direct me to a thread to help me better understand how to run/maintain my filter? Getting a better handle on that is my next bit of homework :wink:

You will find everything you need to know about pools in POOL SCHOOL!

I wouldn't wait, I'd go ahead and drain half the water out to get the CYA down. You never want to do a full drain of a vinyl pool you risk the liner floating and then wrinkles when it resettles. Then follow the process for how to properly shock your pool - it doesn't sound like you have done that yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.