Intex sand filter system froze full of water, low pressure.

jcims

Jun 12, 2012
:hammer:

I know. The system froze (as in ice) while completely full of water over the winter.

Surprisingly there are no water leaks anywhere, so I'm trying to run it instead of replacing it (late start this year).

It moves water ok, but there is almost no suction and the catch basket with the clear dome on the front of the pump fills up halfway with air while it is operating. I don't really know where the air is coming from, as I can open the dome and let the water push 95% of the air out before sealing it again, run it for 30 seconds, and half the water is gone.

I pulled the impeller cover off and inspected it very closely for cracks and whatnot, didn't see any. Nothing looks deformed or 'whited out' as you might expect from stressed blue plastic. The only thing i can think is that there is a hairline crack or seal problem that is allowing air to get sucked into the pump somehow, but not enough to let water back out.

Any other troubleshooting tips? For $250 i can have a whole new set so i'm thinking of ordering it anyway...summer is wasting.

Edit: This is the part i'm talking about, only i know how to install the O-ring...lol

int-56671eg_filter.jpg

Re: Intex sand filter system froze full of water, low pressu

techguy said:
Have you added pool lube to the o-ring? Sounds like you have leaky lid.

No, apparently either I checked the 'basket' (?) in my dreams or on acid. Posting the question above gave me a bit more resolve to tear into it again, and the back of said 'basket' is completely pushed out, with hairline cracks along the flat surface heading up to the intake port.

20130723_192222.jpg

What a maroon, sorry for wasting everyone's time. Going to try a little heat therapy and some silicone to see if i can salvage it. For now i just bypassed it and have the pool hose going directly to the intake port (screens on the skimmer)...THE OLD PUMP IS BAAACK!!! lol

Thanks again!

Re: Intex sand filter system froze full of water, low pressu

Last update on this embarrassing saga. I heated up a steel rod, drug it along the crack a few times to smutz new plastic into the crack, and it seems to be working just fine!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.