BEWARE! Hayward Max Flo VS - European version

Richard_S

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
SW France
Having done lots of research, and having gone out and purchased what I thought was a Hayward Max Flo VS pump - in France through Hayward France - to go in our French home - I have today been trying to programme it.

It turns out that for some reason, the european version, although looking identical to the US version works differently. Unlike the US version that allows you both to vary the speed and the length of time that this operates for, the European version only allows for manual speed pump change - no time selection included in the set up menu.

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:
What in god's name is the point of a variable speed pump that has V1, V2, and V3 factory set speeds, which can each be changed and set for a speed of your choice, but no way of choosing the time that any one of these speeds runs for???? In this case you might as well have one button, set it to the speed that you want and leave it. If you want to change it, then you can press the up or down arrow manually when you want to, which is effectively what I am having to do....If I want to benefit from slow speed for most of the cycle I press V1 and then to do a high speed skimmer clear, I put it on the high speed for a couple of hours.... all manually, which is a disaster for me as this house is rented most of the time!!! :rant: :rant: :rant:

I am massively upset by what I see as a hobbling of the European pump. It's the sort of thing that I am sure with the right "tweak" electronically, could be set to the US version, with timer included and who cares about the warranty frankly...

Anyone got any thoughts?

The drives look the same and there may even be a jumper on the board that changes from one format to the other. It may also be a setting in the service menu.

From reading the manual it appears that the european model is designed to run 24 hours per day.

Bama Rambler said:
The drives look the same and there may even be a jumper on the board that changes from one format to the other. It may also be a setting in the service menu.

From reading the manual it appears that the european model is designed to run 24 hours per day.

I am sure that there is either a dip switch or a software driver or combination of key presses that should change it over to US setting. I am tempted to have a little play...but if it's a key press then there's very little chance of me discovering it by accident.

Where did you get the info that it should run 24hrs a day? The run time in my case is dictated by the 24hr clock timer. When the power goes off to the pump, it remembers what speed it was running at next time it's switched on, after having gone through a prime mode.

What I wanted to do was to initially set the pump on say;
2hrs at 3000rpm
then
4hrs at 1500rpm

twice a day, using a combination of pump timer and main clock timer and see if that was enough to maintain the pool in current weather. I only have a short period of time (2 weeks) to play with the pump to get these things worked out, then the house is back being rented and I will have to set it and forget it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.