I Successfully re-used a liner!

Kelbug

Jul 24, 2007
SW Indiana
I know... it is frowned upon. I had scoured the internet before doing it, looking for reassurance but there was none. I have lurked here for several years, only owning an 18' Intex pool with the inflatable ring so I didn't have a lot to add to the discussions.
We recently got a heck of a deal on a used pool. It was originally installed the fall of 2010 by professionals. The owners got relocated and sold their home. The new owners wanted it gone. My husband and I disassembled the pool and have spent many long hours in the sun leveling a spot for it. The liner was folded up wet with the skimmer hole at the top of the fold so we could find it easily. The liner has been sitting on a trailer covered with a tarp since 6/02. I had ordered a new liner just in case we chickened out or the old one was not usable. When we unfolded the liner it was still wet inside ( a good thing) It was a hung liner, we started with the skimmer plate hole, and attached the plate through most all of the original screw holes before we hung the rest. I was really very easy. The liner was soft and pliable, not brittle and 25 gauge. It has been filled up for 4 days with no problems and look perfect (knock on wood).
So now you know someone who did it! :cheers:
Oh yeah, we didn't sink our pavers either! Just call us rebels!

I agree... Pictures are in order for this one :) Now we can all say we've heard it's been done.

Hubby and I bought a used pool and were unable to salvage the liner. It wasn't very old, but as we took the pool carefully apart, the liner along the top edge disintegrated on us. We had intentions to try and save it, me being the frugal type, but no chance at that. I think the owners had neglected it the few years before they decided to part with it and it was too much for the liner to take. Even moving it to get it out from the walls to take the walls apart would cause more rips in it ... and heavy it was! Couldn't have imagined trying to move it into place even if it was intact when we got the pool apart.

I re-used the liner in the used pool I put up 12 years ago. Took the pool down on a saturday and had it back up in my yard by the following thursday. Tricky part of the liner was getitng the skimmer and return holes lined up depth wise. Took a couple adjustments to the sand to get it close. Liner lasted about 7 years before a chlorine "burn" (brittle spot) cracked and started leaking sand into the pool. Never lost much water, just a lot of sand washing into the pool.

Tim95624 said:
Sadly I must report a catastrophic failure in my pool liner experience. One of the rat hole chew-throughs looked like it was getting a little bigger. My wife and I were in the pool and discussed that we need(ed) to add more support to that spot. Well less than a half hour later we heard a tearing sound and the Intex pool was tearing from that rat chew up and down and the liner could not hold the pressure. The pool failed and 7 of the 18 pools collapsed as the water rushed out. So now I need to get seven Intex poles and a new 18' by 52' Pool. I am beginning to think I may just put another liner in anyway.

Oh no! It will probably be cheaper to just buy the whole thing new and get a couple mean cats!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
That's a Vogue Simbio pool! I have the same pool it's just a 24'. I also have a 1½ hp Dynamo pump.

Good job on saving the liner.

Yes it is!
I would have liked to have a 24' pool, but I can't complain! :party:
Thanks! I was pretty nervous about reusing the liner, but once it was unrolled and felt the same as it did when took the water out of it, I knew we could do it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.