Back with another chemical question

May 30, 2013
Chattanooga TN
Our cousins are back - kinda (he's military and gone a lot) - and she doesn't know how to maintain the pool. I tested (at the pool store) today and the chlorine was 0.1. The water was cloudy and kinda green. The salt was also a little low. My question - how much bleach would she need to add rather than shock? The pool store said 3 bags of shock and running the SWG for at least 24 hours. Suggestions?

Do you know what the cyanuric acid (CYA) level is? The CYA level will affect how much chlorine you need. Also, we'll want to understand the pH, and total alkalinity (TA) before SLAMming. Can you test for those? What about calcium hardness (CH)?

The test kit will save you money but I would add a gallon of chlorine to start with. Pour it slowly in front of the water that is returning to the pool

Without knowing your CYA, we are a really driving in the dark without headlights. We have no idea where we are going or whats out there. Going to a pool store usually ends in bad test results and a box of chemicals for $100 when all you need is the TestKit and some bleach. I see that last time you came away with three bags of shock that likely made any CYA issue you have worse and it cost $20 for the the Free Test. High CYA will made keeping a pool clear nearly impossible no matter much much store the store sells you.

The HTH 6-way kit a Walmart has the CYA test but it's not that much more to buy the proper TF kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Even with the store test results and the strips I managed to keep the pool clear the month that we lived there. I can't convince them to cough up the money when they think their tiny little mini kit does what they need (despite them ending up like this constantly) :-/

arwsgirl said:
Will add bleach and see where we are. Sorry I don't have the needed info but any guidance from what I do have is helpful. Thanks.

You were told what they need to do ...... the whole concept of what happens here requires accurate test results.

You can pay for a test kit now or pay the pool store later :mrgreen:

I was hesitant at first to drop $100+ but have saved so much aggravation that it is worth it for that reason alone .... but i save a ton of money on chemicals too

If you are charged with the care and feeding of your cousin's pool in their absence, You really do need a good test kit. Yes, it's not your pool. However, it would be to your and their advantage to be able to cut the ties to the pool store.

Using nothing but a cheap OTO/Phenol red test kit almost invariably ends in what you have described for that pool. Including being taken for more $$ than you (or they) really need to be spending on the pool.

Sure, my little Intex has less than 1/3 the water volume that your cousin's pool does. I am able to keep mine looking really good because I went the expense of a good kit. Once you learn about proper pool water care, you will be glad to have a means of accurate testing.

I go through 1 gallon of bleach every 1-1/2 weeks, and 1 quart of muriatic acid a month in caring for mine. I don't need anything else for my pool, on an ongoing basis. How much do your cousins spend on theirs every time they are home?

When they're home? There's no telling.

When I was taking care of it last time? A gallon of bleach and a bag of baking soda fixed the problem. Not $$$.

I'm not "charged" with the care. I volunteered since he's out of town and shes got a newborn to deal with and thought I could find some guidance here. I'm beginning to feel like I'm out of luck until I can find the money for the right test kit. I understand the importance of accurate readings but the last time I dealt with this I got by with what I had. Ill try to feel it out until I can find the extra money.

Thanks.

arwsgirl said:
When they're home? There's no telling.

When I was taking care of it last time? A gallon of bleach and a bag of baking soda fixed the problem. Not $$$.

I'm not "charged" with the care. I volunteered since he's out of town and shes got a newborn to deal with and thought I could find some guidance here. I'm beginning to feel like I'm out of luck until I can find the money for the right test kit. I understand the importance of accurate readings but the last time I dealt with this I got by with what I had. Ill try to feel it out until I can find the extra money.

Thanks.

Where are you located?? Perhaps a kind soul on here would help out a member of our armed forces if they are nearby .... i know i would :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.