Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's up with cloudy water?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's up with cloudy water?

Well,the past 2 yrs. I can keep water balance perfect.But,just has soon has I have people in pool water turn's cloudy.I thought maybe it was my sand.Well,that's been changed.Still cloud's up.Had 7 kid's in pool today.Water level's were last night.FC=5 CC=0 ALK=60"add'd 4 pounds of soda last night"CYA=20"add'd what I had left in jug last"Had my CYA up to 40.But, has been dropping off.We have had alot of rain.Having to backwash alot.Figure that's where that's going.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: What's up with cloudy water?

I bring my pool to just below shock value when I have guests. I also make sure to keep my filter running during the party and for at least 24 hours after a party. It helps if you make sure your guests don't "p" in the "ool". Having 7 kids is a high demand. You might want to make everyone get out of the pool mid party, test your FC and add chlorine to get it back to near shock levels.

I installed an outdoor shower for my guests and this had helped keep the pool clear. What is your PH? Your TA seems low.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kcindc
    I bring my pool to just below shock value when I have guests. I also make sure to keep my filter running during the party and for at least 24 hours after a party. It helps if you make sure your guests don't "p" in the "ool". Having 7 kids is a high demand. You might want to make everyone get out of the pool mid party, test your FC and add chlorine to get it back to near shock levels.

I installed an outdoor shower for my guests and this had helped keep the pool clear. What is your PH? Your TA seems low.
    PH=7.2..Should increase a little since adding baking soda last night.I was running clorine a little higher when I have kid's over.But,they have such a bleach smell when I run it higher.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you tested your CYA since you think it's gone down ? If its low the extra chlorine you add will burn off rather quickly with a heavy bather load and sun.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    Have you tested your CYA since you think it's gone down ? If its low the extra chlorine you add will burn off rather quickly with a heavey bather load and sun.
    I add'd a little last night.Just re-check'd this evening..PH 7.2,,,FC=3,,CC=0,,,Alk=80 now after add's last night.Still need to add more Stab.Got'a pick up another jug.Have ran 3 tablet's this past week because of being out of town.I may just continue using rest of tablet's from container I bought last week.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kplaster
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    Have you tested your CYA since you think it's gone down ? If its low the extra chlorine you add will burn off rather quickly with a heavey bather load and sun.

I add'd a little last night.Just re-check'd this evening..PH 7.2,,,FC=3,,CC=0,,,Alk=80 now after add's last night.Still need to add more Stab.Got'a pick up another jug.Have ran 3 tablet's this past week because of being out of town.I may just continue using rest of tablet's from container I bought last week.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    what happen'd there.

Mod edit. I fixed it before seeing this post. You added you commend inside his quote, jblizzle

7. Back To Top    #7

Just make sure you take into account how much CYA the tabs are adding. You figure that out at the bottom of pool calc effects of adding chem's. keep an eye on the PH also.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

When people complain of a "bleach smell" usually means you smell chloramines. This smell usually means you need to add more chlorine to burn off the chloramines. All the more reason to get everyone out of the pool, test your FC & CC, then add more bleach.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile