Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA... sigh!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Monréal, Québec, Canada

CYA... sigh!

Ok, So I am trying to bring my CYA to 50... I know it should be 70, but I want to bring it up slowly because when the solar cover is on, chlorine goes through the roof!

I already put in 1.9 kg (68 oz) of stabilizer in my pool 2 months ago but it seems my level is only at 30 (!!) (or slightly below) according to my TF-100 test kit... According to pool calculator, it should be at 38! So I should be measuring/testing 40. Even if I cheat on the up side, I can't get 40. I really see the black dot at 40...

So, before I put too much of the stuff in there, should I assume it's at 40 and I can't test to save my life or should I assume it's at 30 and adding this stuff is more like art than science?

13.5k gallons, IG, Vinyl, Hayward C3030 Cartridge, Hayward Tristar 3/4hp single speed, Hayward T-15 SWG, Hayward P4 automation, 234 sqft Solex Solar panels. April 2013 construction, Dolphin DX4 robot, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jets 2.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: CYA... sigh!

If you can see the dot, your CYA is lower than the line you are on in the comparator.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: CYA... sigh!

Assume it is at 30ppm, that is what the test shows ... it could have been lowered due to rain, splash out, backwashing, etc.

Maybe the intial dose was a bit off or the pool volume is a little different. The CYA test is only good to like +/- 15ppm I think anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!