Hole in plexiside~dough boy

Jul 23, 2013
Hello,

My mother in law has a doughboy above ground, and she was rubbing down the plexi(?) side and noticed a hole in about 3 inchs in diameter (pictures coming) and immediately started to freak. She went to the local dough boy dealer and they said just take it down and buy a new one. My thought was to clean the hole up by trimming the broken peices and putting layers of thin fabric over the outside of the hole and paint fiberglass resign over the hole. If there is an easier way please let me know but im hoping there is a way.

Thanks

Joseph

Drain to below the hole, tape some flashing to the inside of the wall, under the liner. Make the flashing 2-3" larger than the hole and cover all the edges with a couple layers of duct tape. Put the liner back in place and refill. You can then cover the outside of the hole to make it look good. The pressure of the water will hold the patch in place if the tape fails, the tape is mainly to protect the liner.

Thin metal frequently used by roofers. HomeDepot and Lowes will have it near the roofing supplies. They may also have have heavier/larger metal panels over by the expanded metal, near the door hardware in my HD.

Yes, you can simply tape the panel to the wall. The pressure of the water will hold the panel in place The tape is there to hold it in position until the liner and water hold it firmly. If the 3 foot tall panel can rest int he lower track, all the better.

The tape is also there to protect the liner from the sharp edges of the metal panel. I would add about three layers of good duct tape. If you are buying tape, Nashua 357 is the good stuff and will be printed on the inside of the roll. It's worth the extra few dollars.

I can remove the top metal railing and reach down to apply the flashing metal over the hole and then tape around it with nasha 357 to protect from the sharp edges. Sweet, i will be doing it tomorrow after school...Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The metal is usually thinner, since flashing is designed for wet weather applications it shouldn't corrode. If you're using other metal you may want to paint it. It will be between the liner and the wall so theoretically it won't get wet, but I wouldn't trust it. Remove enough water to get below the hole. Unless you have to take out more try to leave at least a foot of water in the pool otherwise the liner can shrink and/or shift. If you do have to remove all the water, do the work as quick as possible and get water back in it as soon as possible to minimize the risks to the liner.

Thank you guys for your help, i really appreciate it. I taped around all four sides to eliminate any sharp edges and then slid it in and taped it to the side wall. You can see the outline of the flashing sheet but i suppose there was no way getting around that

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.