Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing chlorine

I have a new pool and the PB gave me a test kit that tests for chlorine, PH, Acid, Alkali demand and TA. Im going to order a CYA test kit but Im wondering, the chlorine its testing for os probably CC not FC right?
    30X20 Gunite pool completed in July 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing chlorine

I think I just answered my own question, I googled the Bioguard 1200V kit i have and it says it test for free chlorine.
    30X20 Gunite pool completed in July 2013

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

The OTO and DPD tests only really test for TC ... this would match the FC if the CC was low.

You need to add the CYA test and just as importantly, the FAS-DPD chlorine test which does not have the limitations of the other chlorine tests.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

The DPD chlorine test will test for FC but only up to 5 ppm (or 10 ppm if you dilute) and not with great accuracy.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.