Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: if FC should be 1-3 why is 6 Ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

if FC should be 1-3 why is 6 Ok?

have two discussions elsewhere that morphed into many topics that were off topic but they were complex
    but have another question that might remain on topic as is quite focussed

I see everywhere proper FC range is 1-3
    but you all say for my CYA (80) I should have FC ? 6
    so
    1) if 6FC is Ok, why do I see 1-3 everywhere? and
    2) is 6 Ok to swim in? (CC is zippo)
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: if FC should be 1-3 why is 6 Ok?

It all depends on your CYA level.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    got it

so till I get CYA down, is FC6 ok to swim in?
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

4. Back To Top    #4

If your CYA is 80 ppm, your FC maintaince level is 6-11ppm.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by engrav
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    got it

so till I get CYA down, is FC6 ok to swim in?
    Yes. It's actually the lowest you should ever let your FC get with 80ppm CYA. Check out pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

6 is ok to swim in.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    6 is ok to swim in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    off to town to get some bleach

thank you

8. Back To Top    #8

If your CYA is 80 in a non SWG pool the minimum your chlorine level should be is 6 your target is 9. I like to stay at a minimum of target for my CYA I get nervous if it falls below. It is safe to swim up to SLAM FC levels which in your case is 31.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DKT113
    If your CYA is 80 in a non SWG pool the minimum your chlorine level should be is 6 your target is 9. I like to stay at a minimum of target for my CYA I get nervous if it falls below. It is safe to swim up to SLAM FC levels which in your case is 31.
    6-11 ppm is his FC range at 80 ppm of CYA.

Jeff

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

To answer this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by engrav
    1) if 6FC is Ok, why do I see 1-3 everywhere?
    Because "That's just the way it's always been." That doesn't take CYA in to account and the sad truth is that most people, pool owners and pool store employees, have no idea of the CYA/Chlorine relationship. It's such an old statement that it just hasn't gone away. Kind of like how some people still put butter on a burn or hydrogen peroxide on a bleeding cut.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

It's all because the pool industry refuses to acknowledge the relationship between CYA and chlorine. CYA buffers the chlorine. In fact, there is more active chlorine in tap water (unless you have a well) than there is in a pool that is stabilized by the CYA.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    It's all because the pool industry refuses to acknowledge the relationship between CYA and chlorine. CYA buffers the chlorine. In fact, there is more active chlorine in tap water (unless you have a well) than there is in a pool that is stabilized by the CYA.
    if tabs over time raises CYA
    and CYA does not go away save by draining
    and CYA requires more and more Cl
    so people shift away from tabs to ?bleach
    and the companies are in it to make $$
    why not make tabs without CYA or with less CYA?
    is this amount of CYA required for stability of the tabs?

13. Back To Top    #13

If somebody could do that they'd be a billionaire.

Jeff

14. Back To Top    #14

You almost had it but let me fix your list:

-if tabs over time raises CYA
    -and CYA does not go away save by draining
    -and CYA requires more and more Cl
    -[s:3holln0g]so people shift away from tabs to ?bleach[/s:3holln0g]
    -so people blindly go to the pool store when the water turns green and are sold a truck load of other chemicals to try to make the green go away, after iterating on this a few times, the pool store will use some gimmick like "chlorine lock" and tell you to drain a good portion of the pool and then you can start to use the tablets again ... rinse and repeat
    -and the companies are in it to make $$ ... and making a LOT of it by selling magic potions

why not make tabs without CYA or with less CYA?
    is this amount of CYA required for stability of the tabs?

Correct, chlorine is not stable so you currently have the choice of adding CYA, calcium (cal-hypo), or lithium ($$$) to make the chlorine stable and safe to handle.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!