Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 12' solar cover floating in 18' pool? Amazon solar panels?

1. Back To Top    #1

12' solar cover floating in 18' pool? Amazon solar panels?

My pool only gets sun after 2pm and this year with a cold week of the 4th + some rains there's only been a few times its been comfortable enough for grown-ups to jump right in without a bit of a cold shock at first.

My brother has a 12' solar cover from an old pool, would this float in mine? or would it fold all up and droop down into the water? If it floats would it actually do anything in the 3 hours it gets sun before we start getting in at 6pm?

Also thinking about setting up the amazon solar panels when it gets closer to sept. I think I read on here that one of them ought to be enough for a pool my size? (18' round 4 feet deep ~7000gal) is that true? they come 2 to a kit and thinking I might split the cost with my brother (he's got an 18' now too) and each of us run one.
    ------------------------------------
    18' Summer escapes with original skimmer + intex pump + intex sand filter w/ Zeolite, Intex SWG. 1x ecosaver 50sqft solar panel with dedicated pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 12' solar cover floating in 18' pool? Amazon solar panel

As long as the bubbles aren't burst, it will certainly help, I just don't know how much.

If your pool doesn't get any more sun than that, one panel probably won't be enough during the fringes of the season.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The first time you forget and let the pool get a hard rain with the cover just lying there unattached, it will sink to the bottom of the pool. And by panels I assume you mean the 2'x20' panels. One will not be enough. Two is barely enough to make a difference and three would be better.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

4. Back To Top    #4

If it's the bubble type cover it can't sink to the bottom of the pool. However if it doesn't have bubbles it can and most likely will sink.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks you all. I guess it's not too much effort for me to go pick this thing up and try it, see if it makes a difference.

I suppose I'll go with 2 of the panels for myself then before this sept. See if I'll need to add a third next.

So also another question re: wood fired heaters. I've got a PILE of wood not doing much of anything, maybe I'll need to supplement my two solar panels.

I see people on youtube building these with many feet of what looks like 1/4" or 3/8" copper tubing coiled up inside. Would there be a big difference between their way of bunch of copper vs. < 10 feet of 1" black iron pipe + u connectors to make a snakey shape inside something resembling a 35 gallon drum?
    ------------------------------------
    18' Summer escapes with original skimmer + intex pump + intex sand filter w/ Zeolite, Intex SWG. 1x ecosaver 50sqft solar panel with dedicated pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

You would not get enough BTU out of all the wood to make much of a difference. Many reports of it just not being an efficient way to trying to add heat.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!