Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easytouch setup / wiring help

1. Back To Top    #1

Easytouch setup / wiring help

Hello. I have decided to upgrade my suntouch to easytouch. The quality of instructions in the pentair manual is well known, so I would like to get some help / confirmation from the experts here.

My list of equipment consists of a 240V intelliflo VS + SVRS pump, a 240V raypak gas heater, one 120V intellibrite light, a 240V peristaltic pump for chlorine, and one valve actuator. I am going to add easytouch and intellichem to the system. In the future I want the keep the option to add intellichlor and relays to control landscape lighting.

My plan is to purchase the easytouch 4 with the intellichlor transformer. The wiring would be as follows:

Power:
    1) From subpanel, 240V 50A GFCI breaker to the easytouch load center.
    2) In the easytouch load center, one 120V GFCI breaker for the easytouch transformer and intellibrite.
    3) In the easytouch load center, one 240V GFCI breaker for intelliflo and peristaltic pump.
    4) In the easytouch load center, one 240V GFCI breaker for raypak gas heater.

I already have 1x 120V GFCI and 2x 240V GFCI breakers for my existing equipment. So the question is really whether I need an extra GFCI breaker in the subpanel feeding to the easytouch load center, when all the beakers in the easytouch load center will use my existing GFCI breakers.

Relays / others:
    1) Relay 1 in easytouch: filter pump.
    2) Relay 2 in easytouch: intellibrite.
    3) Relay 3/4 in easytouch: future landscape lights.
    4) Fireman's switch in easytouch: gas heater.
    5) Intellichem: external pump 2 connection, in line with the load side of the peristaltic pump.
    6) Intellichem: I am getting the one pump + acid tank kit, and I don't think I need to do anything on that side.

Future expansion for intellichlor if we go salt water:
    1) In the easytouch load center, add one 240V GFCI breaker for the intellichlor transformer. Do I need another 240V GFCI breaker to power the intellichlor transformer?
    2) Wire up intellichlor to intellichem and easytouch.

Does this look like a good plan? Thanks!
    18'x40' (est. 20K gal) Kidney shape pool // Pentair Intelliflo VS-AU // Pentair Suntouch // Raypak RP2100 Digital // 48sqft DE filter // Stenner 85MHP17 peristaltic pump // Dolphin Deluxe 4.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Easytouch setup / wiring help

Lots of info here, but ill take a crack at it. See my comments in red

[quote="Galun"]

Power:
    1) From subpanel, 240V 50A GFCI breaker to the easytouch load center.

a)Consider running 100 amps from the main. 50 amps is ok, but its really underpowered for any upgrades you might want out there.
    b) You dont need a GFCI breaker on the main or sub panel to feed the easytouch.

2) In the easytouch load center, one 120V GFCI breaker for the easytouch transformer and intellibrite.
    a) Pool light needs a dedicated GFCI breaker
    b) Run your Easytouch power off a 15/15 amp tandem breaker. Takes up only one slot. Easytouch xformer doesnt need a GFCI.
    c) use the other half of the 15 amp tandem for a convenience outlet on the side of the box.

3) In the easytouch load center, one 240V GFCI breaker for intelliflo and peristaltic pump.
    a) this is fine

4) In the easytouch load center, one 240V GFCI breaker for raypak gas heater.
    a) dont waste a breaker for this. Just wire it up on the load side of the pump relay. It only pulls 1 amp.

I already have 1x 120V GFCI and 2x 240V GFCI breakers for my existing equipment. So the question is really whether I need an extra GFCI breaker in the subpanel feeding to the easytouch load center, when all the beakers in the easytouch load center will use my existing GFCI breakers.

Future expansion for intellichlor if we go salt water:
    1) In the easytouch load center, add one 240V GFCI breaker for the intellichlor transformer. Do I need another 240V GFCI breaker to power the intellichlor transformer?

a) nope. Just wire it up to the pump relay, load side, along with the heater.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you.

Is there a benefit to GFCI at subpanel, then GFCI breakers in the easytouch load center? I already have 1x 120V GFCI and 2x 240V GFCI. I need the 120V for the pool light. If I can wire up one 240V GFCI breaker for intelliflo, peristaltic pump, and heater, then I have one left over anyways that I can put in the subpanel. I will have to go back to check the amp rating but I believe I have at least one that's pretty high, 40 or 50A.

Love all the other suggestions, especially the tandem breaker for convenience outlet. Didn't think of that. Thanks.
    18'x40' (est. 20K gal) Kidney shape pool // Pentair Intelliflo VS-AU // Pentair Suntouch // Raypak RP2100 Digital // 48sqft DE filter // Stenner 85MHP17 peristaltic pump // Dolphin Deluxe 4.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Galun
    Thank you.

Is there a benefit to GFCI at subpanel,.
    No. The Easytouch load center is a subpanel, basically. You dont feed a subpanel off the main with a GFCI breaker, so you dont feed the Easytouch that way either.

You still should consider running more power to the ET box.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Quote Originally Posted by Galun
    Thank you.

Is there a benefit to GFCI at subpanel,.
    No. The Easytouch load center is a subpanel, basically. You dont feed a subpanel off the main with a GFCI breaker, so you dont feed the Easytouch that way either.
    Got it. I understand it now when you put it that way. Makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    You still should consider running more power to the ET box.
    Ok. 240V 100A breaker to ET box, then GFCI breakers in the ET box to the pool equipment.

6. Back To Top    #6

Note that for a 100A sub-panel, you will need to run minimum 4 AWG copper conductors (line 1, line 2, neutral and ground). How long is the run from the main panel to the equipment pad?
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

7. Back To Top    #7

There is actually already a subpanel from the main panel in the pool equipment pad. That subpanel feeds power to my storage shed, lights for the pool house, outdoor outlets, and all the pool equipment.

Actually, now that I am re-reading the advice... Looks like the advice is to run 100A to the easytouch load center so I get future upgradability in that area. However, I think I already have 100A from my main panel to the existing sub-panel. The easytouch load center will connect to this existing sub-panel, so I guess the easytouch is the sub-sub-panel?

How many amps should I run from this sub-panel to the easytouch load center? Probably just need enough to run pool equipment and landscape lights (that I want controlled by easytouch relays)? Looks like the pump draws 16A. Heater 1A. Stenner pump 1A. Intellibrite <1A. Intellichlor is only 1A. So pool equipment is about 20A. Maybe I should just do a 40A breaker from the sub-panel to the easytouch load center?

8. Back To Top    #8

If that's the case, you can probably stick with the 50 amp feed. I didn't realize you already had a lot of power out there already. Just get a 50 amp breaker to put in the sub panel and run the appropriate sized wire to the Easytouch