Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cement board screws?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cement board screws?

What does everyone use to secure your cement board/hardie backer to steel studs? I am having a hard time finding something that will self drill and have the right threads for cement board and steel. I'm almost done with my kitchen, now ready for cement board, tile and stucco.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cement board screws?

I just used the screws that are sold with the hardie backer. They are not self tapping and are pointed, like wood screws, but they worked just fine.
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

3. Back To Top    #3

Perfect! I'll use those then as i have a box of them on hand. Thanks much!

4. Back To Top    #4

I did the same as Riles.
    24000 Gallon Cool Blue Diamond Brite, 1HP Pentair Whisperflo, Hayward DE, Polaris 380 Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Riles_J
    I just used the screws that are sold with the hardie backer. They are not self tapping and are pointed, like wood screws, but they worked just fine.
    Yep, they work great.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

6. Back To Top    #6

I thought i replied to this. They did work great. Now to tile and stucco, which i have never stucco'd before but seems to be pretty easy. But any advice on product to use and how to do it is always appreciated.

7. Back To Top    #7

macrules - I used an elastomeric stucco product by Parex. I believe Riles_J steered me toward that product. Since it is elastomeric, it has a bit of flex to it so less likely to crack.

http://www.parex.com/products.pl
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

8. Back To Top    #8

I saw that post and have been looking into it. Seems fairly simple so ill probably give it shot. Done with tile tonight.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, I used the Parex product and it was not that difficult to apply. I wouldn't recommend doing it on the hottest day of the year like I did, but other than that it went great. After a couple of years the color still looks great. I have got some staining below my Big Green Egg from ash, but I think a scrubbing would probably fix that. This year I also noticed my first hairline crack in my stucco finish. It is not noticeable to anyone but me and I am not worried about it, but I thought I would pass that along. It is at a cement board joint and follows it from top to bottom. Not sure why that one reflected. Maybe I didn't prep that one as well. Good luck.

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the replies. A few final touches and i'm all set. Hope to finish this week yet, i have to job that keeps getting in the way of all my fun.

11. Back To Top    #11

I used Parex per his suggestion as well. It is simple. I got a drywall hopper for my compressor at Harbor Freight and used that to apply it. It could not have been easier. I put two coats on.
    20,000 gallon IGP, 50 sqft, infinity edge spa - 8 jets, 3 water pots and 2 bubblers
    SWG - Pentair IC40: Delta UV Filter ES Series; Pentair Quad DE 100 Filter; 1 Pentair Intelliflow VSP VS3050; 1 Pentair Whisperflow for water pots and bubblers; Pentair EasyTouch 4 remote; Pentair Intellibrites LED (white) - 2 in pool and 1 in spa; Pentair Master Temp 400 heater; Pebblesheen Finish