Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Welding Diving Board Stand

1. Back To Top    #1

Welding Diving Board Stand

We are recently new pool owners - 2yrs - and the diving board stand on our pool is extremely old - probably 25yrs. We were going to buy a new stand but couldn't get the bolts off so my husbands co-worker came and got them off and said he would be able to weld on new sheets of steel and reinstall the board. He has the board and has welded on the new pieces, I'm just curious to know how safe this is? He is a professional welder and I figure they weld buildings together so I would thinkg this would be fine but thougt I'd get some thoughts from others.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Welding Diving Board Stand

Welcome to the forum.

I'm just curious to know how safe this is?
    Of course, it's as safe as your welder makes it. Not sure how much we could add to judge the skill and knowledge of his capabilities.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So he left the existing base in place and just removed the board from it?
    He's going to rebuild the base to fit the new board by reworking the frame?

Is that correct?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

He took the stand and diving board off. Diving Board is in great shape, the stand is pretty rusted and had split across at the part where it comes down off the board in the front and hits the ground. I'm guessing he's basically building a new stand around the old "frame"

5. Back To Top    #5

In that case, if he's a good welder (and it appears that he is) it should be ok.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Just let him be the first one to try it!
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the votes of confidence - I feel much better. I did tell him he had to be the first one to jump off it - he's a bigger guy so if it holds him we are good!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Have him hold about 100#s of weight as a proof test
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320